• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would i stand on a slabed coin going bad

18 posts in this topic

Hi all

Question ?: i have sent a Iron coin of for conservation (NCS) and got them to send it to NGC to have it graded and slabbed.. i have had it back for a few months and now it is starting to rust around the rim. How is this possable as there is ment to be no oxgien in the slab ??? the coin is now probably nackered as the rust will have pitted the serface of the coin.. funny thing is that the rust is only apearing on one side of the coin so far... hm

what should i do ?

thanks dooly

You may want to ask this in the Ask NCS and Ask NGC forums to see what they say. I would think it would be covered if it went to NCS and then to NGC.

Cheers for that .I will do .. it is realy upseting as the coin is a (possable) tripple RPD which i have probably no chance of replacing :frustrated:

hm My understanding of the NGC blurb was that the mechine they use to seal the slab hematicaly seals it removing all gasses .. gess i read it wrong !!! .. so coins will still tone in slabs ?

hm

hm My understanding of the NGC blurb was that the machine they use to seal the slab hermetical seals it removing all gasses .. guess i read it wrong !!! .. so coins will still tone in slabs ?

hm

There was a post on this a while back Dooly...They are NOT hermetically sealed..They are scenically sealed or welded and are not air tight..

hm My understanding of the NGC blurb was that the machine they use to seal the slab hermetical seals it removing all gasses .. guess i read it wrong !!! .. so coins will still tone in slabs ?

hm

There was a post on this a while back Dooly...They are NOT hermetically sealed..They are scenically sealed or welded and are not air tight..

I heard Sarasota, FL might be pretty...but I didn't realize the slabbing process was so scenic. hm:insane::baiting:

hm

I heard Sarasota, FL might be pretty...but I didn't realize the slabbing process was so scenic. hm:insane::baiting:

:pullhair:USE THE SPELLCHECK :frustrated:

Some people can't add because they rely on calculators to do it for them.

Some people can't spell because they rely on computers to do it for them.

Some people can't get away with anything because of Tom and Lou.

Chris

Slabs can not only let moisture and gasses in but keep them in, to the detriment of the coin. This is one reason why many EACers don't keep their coins in slabs.

Because slabs can let gasses in, some enterprising people have also ATed coins in the slab....

Slabs can not only let moisture and gasses in but keep them in, to the detriment of the coin. This is one reason why many EACers don't keep their coins in slabs.

Because slabs can let gasses in, some enterprising people have also ATed coins in the slab....

and some slabs cause coins to tone while sealed inside them.....just check out all those images I have posted of the old NGC no line fatty holders.......I would suspect that the vast majority of white coins still sealed in those have light to moderate rim toning becuase the paper labels were sealed inside the same compartment as the coin........and paper contains sulfer...and sulfer is an agent that can and does bring about toning on coins (thumbs u

I have a 1993 SIlver Eagle Proof in a PCGS Slab that I purchased long ago that has a small amount of Toning so it is possible.

A friend had a question about a slabbed coin slabbed by NGC. I contacted them a few months back and I contacted NGC .I was told by a Rep that NGC guarantees their coins and it could be sent in for an "Appearance Review".

The coin in question is a MS70 Silver Eagle.I asked if there was any possibilty that upon the review it could then receive a MS69 grade and the answer was "No".

In the case where it is a NGC slab and did not still meet the same requirements then NGC will either replace the coin or give you Market Value. There is a guarantee blurb here on its site.

I presume they are talking about all NGC slabbed coins. I understand there are exceptions such as copper but don't know about any others.Don't know if sendinf it to NCS first makes any diiference as NCS is part of NGC.

I would either call NGC or "Ask NGC".