• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS and NGC

38 posts in this topic

I've seen some really nasty looking coins in both NGC and PCGS holders. I've also seen some really nice coins in both. I think they both grade on an even par on average. Unfortunately, the market perception is that PCGS is better and therefore they command higher prices. This causes a lot of the nicer coins to migrate into PCGS holders while the liners stay where they are.

I like the PCGS holders better because they don't make small coins look silly and the coins are easier to photgraph in their holders. I buy more NGC coins because I can get similar quality coins for lower prices.

I thought ANACS was getting tougher on grading last year. I sent in three batches of coins, some for regrade/reholder and some for grading and they downgraded some of the regrades and were tough on some of the raw coins I sent in. I've only sent one small order in this year. All of the regrade/reholders came back in the same grade though a couple were clearly cleaned. Both raw coins were put in problem holders though one had been in an NGC holder before and the other was in an old green PCI holder. I suspect they got tired of paying out for all of their old mistakes and started getting loose on the reholders while still trying to look tough with the raw coins. I have no plans to send them anything else under this current perceived policy. I do think that coins in their holders are the easiest to photograph.

As far as SEGS, other than the two Jefferson design "coins" I have only bought one SEGS graded coin. It was a bust half dime that SEGS called MS63. I thought it was more like an MS61. The "New ANACS" called it AU58. I could possibly get it into an NGC MS61 holder but I don't think I will bother. Judging from this one coin I think the SEGS slabs are difficult to photo. The plastic seems to be a little cloudy. But, I never tried to photo the Jeffersons so maybe I just had one wierd holder.

I have only been collecting for about three months and I have to admit most of the slabbed coins I purchased are NGC. I guess that is because I joined the Collector's Society so that I can have access to much more info and with joining I received a coupon for five free grading. I was at my local coin shop today to ask about the Jefferson spouse and where they would recommend sending it for grading with them submiting for me. They said PCGS would be better than NGC. I asked if they would first evaluate the coin to see if they thought it would grade at a Proof 70. Said they would look and provide a guess. The inference was NGC would give the coin a 70 before PCGS. Is that something to consider?

Thanks for your input everyone. Just a note, perhaps why most people here choose NGC is because this is, after all, an NGC forum? Perhaps if I posted the same thing in the PCGS forum (I wont though) people would go with PCGS more?

Perhaps if I posted the same thing in the PCGS forum (I wont though) people would go with PCGS more?

Probably, lots of Kool-Aid drinkers over there. :)

true, you'll find a lot more of the "herd mentality" on the PCGS boards. that equates to forum members that will ONLY consider PCGS coins. Heck, one forum member even has a signature line that states "just say NO to non-PCGS coins", as if those are the only nice ones in existance. I once replied to one of his threads saying "if those PCGS coins are cracked out, do they become worthless to you?"; as i expected, he didn't respond.

We also need to remember than the PCGS management thinned out a lot of the “herd” when a few of the cattle had some independent thoughts and said some less than wonderful things about the PCGS product. After all EVERYONE knows that PCGS is perfect, don’t they? :headbang:hm

Over on the PCGS board, you drink Kool Aid (worship) or you disappear. (shrug)

That's true, when they have a forum policy that says you can be banned from the forum for saying anything negative about PCGS it does tend to stifle alternate viewpoints.

Especially when they are the ones who decide what is "negative".