• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attaching a pic w/o using URL?

33 posts in this topic

Hey boardsters,

I'm still not too familiar with the new format. Can you not attach an image to a reply and snag the URL from that image anymore?

Thanks for the reply.

Victor

Down near the bottom where you hit submit will be a util called "file manager"

You use that to upload a file from your local drive. It will automaticaly insert into your message without the snag routine.

When you respond to someone message - sometimes you need to 'qoute' something for it to show up.

You use that to upload a file from your local drive. It will automaticaly insert into your message without the snag routine.

When you respond to someone message - sometimes you need to 'qoute' something for it to show up.

Uploading the photos is much easier than before, but it doesn't allow you to post photos side-by-side. I hate having to scroll up and down to view both sides of a coin.

Is there a way to insert text or captions between photos? If there is, I haven't figured it out yet.

Another drawback is that when I want to preview a post, it doesn't show the photos that are inserted. Did I overlook something?

Chris

Thanks for the tip. (thumbs u

Victor, what is the significance of the monument behind you? I see plaques from several different eras.

Chris

PS. Isn't a red star the symbol used on certain communist aircraft? :devil:

Chris

Nice Pic ...

Thanks, bud. :) I was thinking of ya over the summer since I have a stick pin with a mini Nevada license plate that says, "joker". :devil:

Chris, I don't know why I have the commie star on the pic. I just know that I have some memory lapse of days on end when I was in China and now think that Mao was a great man... :o Hmmmm.......kind of a "Manchurian Candidate" type of abduction???

:makepoint:

The pic was taken at the Veteran's memorial wall in Bella Vista, AR.

:whatev:

Nice Pic ...

Thanks, bud. :) I was thinking of ya over the summer since I have a stick pin with a mini Nevada license plate that says, "joker". :devil:

Chris, I don't know why I have the commie star on the pic. I just know that I have some memory lapse of days on end when I was in China and now think that Mao was a great man... :o Hmmmm.......kind of a "Manchurian Candidate" type of abduction???

:makepoint:

The pic was taken at the Veteran's memorial wall in Bella Vista, AR.

:whatev:

Ah so!

Chris

Thanks for the tip. (thumbs u

Nice image Victor. Have you considered posing it in the comic section? :insane:

:jokealert: ..... lol lol lol

thanks for the info

Chris, did I misunderstand your question or is the following what you were talking about. Photos side by side and Text in between.

1954s200xmm.jpg1954s60xmm.jpg

HERE IS TEXT!

1954s60xmm.jpg

Jim, the new format that we are using won't allow me to post photos side-by-side or enter text between the photos, and the photos don't appear as part of the "Preview Post". All of this was possible before the change. I'm still using the same program, ACDSee, for my photos, so it must be something they overlooked when they set up the new format.

I'll show you what I mean. I'm going to add four photos to this post. When you see it, I want you to submit a reply using the "Quote" option. When the text box appears, you won't see any lines of code for my photos. How can I insert text if there are no lines of code to insert it between? How can I use the back space to abut one photo to another so they will appear on the same line?

Am I missing something?

Chris

43945-IMG_1524.JPG.88dc85d41bc097948ae25650c0ca6177.JPG

43946-IMG_1525.JPG.6bf01d207c2d3a5005c9b79a8dce9774.JPG

43947-IMG_1529.JPG.be87765900b1361d9995a1d77aca0ed9.JPG

43948-IMG_1530.JPG.9c7731f0e1da288c11678d22e31a8012.JPG

Chris,

I see what you mean, now. Also, when I previewed my post originally it showed my pics side by side as always, but when it actually posted it placed them vertically, although it did allow me to place text between the pics.

I think this can all be corrected by Arch--are you reading this Arch?

Jim

Jim, it may not have allowed you to place them side-by-side because the total width exceeded the maximum limit. Ordinarily, I limit individual photos mounted side-by-side to a width of 450 each.

I hope Arch can help me out on this. If not, I probably won't be posting too many photos from now on. I don't like the idea of having to comment on multiple photos and then showing all of them at the end of the post. It is too easy for someone to confuse which comment goes with which photo. Could you imagine what it would be like if a 250-page auction catalog listed all of the descriptions in the front and all of the photos in the back?

Chris

Chris,

I see what you mean, now. Also, when I previewed my post originally it showed my pics side by side as always, but when it actually posted it placed them vertically, although it did allow me to place text between the pics.

I think this can all be corrected by Arch--are you reading this Arch?

Jim

Judging from all the help I HAVEN'T received in this regard, I guess nobody wants me around here. Is there an inner circle developing here? It's no skin off my nose, but they could at least have the &@(($ to say so.

Thanks for trying, Jim.

Chris

Jim, it may not have allowed you to place them side-by-side because the total width exceeded the maximum limit. Ordinarily, I limit individual photos mounted side-by-side to a width of 450 each.

I hope Arch can help me out on this. If not, I probably won't be posting too many photos from now on. I don't like the idea of having to comment on multiple photos and then showing all of them at the end of the post. It is too easy for someone to confuse which comment goes with which photo. Could you imagine what it would be like if a 250-page auction catalog listed all of the descriptions in the front and all of the photos in the back?

Chris

Chris,

As I recall, previously you could only attach a single image to a post. It would be a challenge to get images side by side or text between images when you only have one image. Now you can attach a number of images (the number being greater than one).

I haven't tried it yet but I would think that it would be possible to attach multiple images using a host site like Photobucket just the same as before. That is the only way that I know of that you could place images side by side or insert text between images before.

The only new limitation that I can see is that you can't post an image on the test forum and then paste the URL into a separate post. Other than that, I'm not sure I quite follow what your complaint is about. (shrug)

Chris

Chris,

As I recall, previously you could only attach a single image to a post. It would be a challenge to get images side by side or text between images when you only have one image. Now you can attach a number of images (the number being greater than one).

Wrong! If you look at some of my earlier posts prior to the changeover where multiple photos were inserted, you can see that the photos could be placed side-by-side with text between each grouping. I was able to accomplish all of this using the same program (ACDSee) that I use now.

I haven't tried it yet but I would think that it would be possible to attach multiple images using a host site like Photobucket just the same as before. That is the only way that I know of that you could place images side by side or insert text between images before.

Why would I want to use Photobucket when I have (or had as it seems) the capability to perform the same tasks with the program I have installed on my computer?

The only new limitation that I can see is that you can't post an image on the test forum and then paste the URL into a separate post. Other than that, I'm not sure I quite follow what your complaint is about. (shrug)

As I suggested to Jim, go to my post above where I inserted the photos of the Morgans. If you respond to that post using "QUOTE", you will see the text but not any of the line code for any of the photos. This is what I'm talking about. Before, I could edit the line code to post them side-by-side, and I could also enter text between each line code for comments on individual photos.

Chris

Stan, prior to the changeover to this new sytem, I was able to crop & size my photos on my computer using ACDSee. Then, I would insert the photos in my post and arrange them the way I wanted. That also included adding text between the photos. Now, when I add the photos using "File Manager", the line code does not appear, even on "Preview Post", so that I can edit the photos.

As I suggested in my previous post, go to my post where I inserted the photos of the two Morgans. If you respond to that post using "QUOTE", you will see my text but you won't see the line code for the photos. That is my point. It would be there under the old system so that I could edit my photos. Now, it is gone!

Chris

Judging from all the help I HAVEN'T received in this regard, I guess nobody wants me around here. Is there an inner circle developing here? It's no skin off my nose, but they could at least have the &@(($ to say so.

Chris,

Wrong! If you look at some of my earlier posts prior to the changeover where multiple photos were inserted, you can see that the photos could be placed side-by-side with text between each grouping. I was able to accomplish all of this using the same program (ACDSee) that I use now.

Why would I want to use Photobucket when I have (or had as it seems) the capability to perform the same tasks with the program I have installed on my computer?

As I suggested to Jim, go to my post above where I inserted the photos of the Morgans. If you respond to that post using "QUOTE", you will see the text but not any of the line code for any of the photos. This is what I'm talking about. Before, I could edit the line code to post them side-by-side, and I could also enter text between each line code for comments on individual photos.

Chris

Well, you get upset when you don't get enough help and you get upset when someone tries to help. I'm not sure how to reply now because I really wasn't expecting you to reply with that attitude. Are you saying my recollection is wrong or that I am lying about what I remember? Was it something I posted that got you irritated or are you just venting your frustration?

Please feel free to prove me wrong by providing a link to a previous post where you attached more than one image to a post. I was never able to find a way to do that.

Chris,

Chris

Well, you get upset when you don't get enough help and you get upset when someone tries to help.

I'm not upset, but yes, I am frustrated. My first post asking for help on this subject was August 31 with no responses....then again on September 6 and Jim was the only person who showed any concern.

I'm not sure how to reply now because I really wasn't expecting you to reply with that attitude.

There is nothing wrong with having an attitude. Attitude can be a good thing if it strengthens your determination to get positive results. I think of myself like a sailboat on the ocean. Sometimes the seas are calm and you just sail quietly along. Other times high seas toss you about like a rag doll and beat on you mercilessly. It's times like this when you must act decisively.

Are you saying my recollection is wrong or that I am lying about what I remember?

Please don't equate being wrong about something with lying. Yes, you were wrong. You could post multiple photos side-by-side before the changes to the format of the boards. I'm rushing this because I want to finish before I leave for work, but take a look at my thread, "Is cherrypicking VAM's a daunting task?" I believe it was in February, 2007.

Was it something I posted that got you irritated or are you just venting your frustration?

You didn't irritate me, and I'm not taking it out on you. However, I do want to make everyone aware of my problem so that I can get it resolved.

Please feel free to prove me wrong by providing a link to a previous post where you attached more than one image to a post. I was never able to find a way to do that.

Chris

Well, you get upset when you don't get enough help and you get upset when someone tries to help.

I'm not upset, but yes, I am frustrated. My first post asking for help on this subject was August 31 with no responses....then again on September 6 and Jim was the only person who showed any concern.

I'm not sure how to reply now because I really wasn't expecting you to reply with that attitude.

There is nothing wrong with having an attitude. Attitude can be a good thing if it strengthens your determination to get positive results. I think of myself like a sailboat on the ocean. Sometimes the seas are calm and you just sail quietly along. Other times high seas toss you about like a rag doll and beat on you mercilessly. It's times like this when you must act decisively.

Are you saying my recollection is wrong or that I am lying about what I remember?

Please don't equate being wrong about something with lying. Yes, you were wrong. You could post multiple photos side-by-side before the changes to the format of the boards. I'm rushing this because I want to finish before I leave for work, but take a look at my thread, "Is cherrypicking VAM's a daunting task?" I believe it was in February, 2007.

Was it something I posted that got you irritated or are you just venting your frustration?

You didn't irritate me, and I'm not taking it out on you. However, I do want to make everyone aware of my problem so that I can get it resolved.

Chris

The attitude that I detected in your reply to me almost made me not bother to reply back. That type of attitude isn't always good when you are asking for help.

I found your post.

VAM cherrypicking

Can I ask how you included those pictures in your post? They obviously are hosted on the CS boards. With the old board you could add a single image to your post with the "Attachments" option. This image would not appear in the post but would pop up when the attachment text was clicked. To get the image to appear in the post you had to open it up after you posted it and copy the URL into your post. The only way I ever found to do what you seem to have done is to post each image in a separate post (maybe on the test forum) and then edit the URLs into my post.

If you were able to add multiple images as attachements to a single post then you were doing something that I haven't noticed anyone else being able to do before. With the new system it seems that you can add multiple images to a post but they all appear in the post at the bottom instead of through a link. That somehow hides the URL where the image is stored and prevents you from editing text around the images.

I guess the bottom line is that the images have to be hosted somewhere in order to add their URLs to your post. Previously, you were able to get the board to host them and provide you with the URL to include in your post. Now the board doesn't provide the URL.

It seems to me that Arch is the only one who can help you out on this one.

I'm still scratching my head about how you were adding multiple attachements to one post. Even the post I linked to above shows only one image as an attachement. I suppose you could add one image and get it's URL, then edit your post to add another image and get it's URL and so on until you had attached all of your images one at a time. The final post would still only show the last one as an attachement but you would have all of the URLs to each image hosted on the boards. But it doesn't sound like that was what you were doing from your description.

Here's a shortcut to solve your problem:

Upload and post the photos as you normally do. They will show up top to bottom. Note (or cut&paste) their URL. You can do this by viewing the post, right clicking the picture, then choosing "properties". HINT: It will start with "http://" and end with ".JPG". Here's your sig's:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments//1425198-chris_sig.jpg

Edit your post, and change the pics to IMG, /IMG links, without a carriage return between them.

Viola.

Using your pics:

43945-IMG_1524.JPG43946-IMG_1525.JPG

The above looks like this:

{img]http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments/43945-IMG_1524.JPG[/img]{img]http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments/43946-IMG_1525.JPG[/img]

Just change the "{" and "}" to "[" and "]", and make sure it is "one long line" without any carriage returns, and you'll be golden.

NOTE: If your screen is not wide enough to display the pictures side by side without going off the right edge of the page, the new software will automatically move the second picture to the next line. This is quite different from the old software which made the web page "wider" to accomodate multiple pictures side-by-side, and may be part of the problem you are experiencing.

Kind of kludgy, but it works.

Hope this helps...Mike

Well, I'll see if this dummy can figure it out!

44302-IMG_1433.JPG44301-IMG_1432.JPG

Okay, so now I can place them side-by-side, but is there a shortcut that I can use instead of writing out the entire URL for each photo? It's very time consuming. Can you imagine how difficult it would be for me if I were posting a dozen photos at the same time? I've said it many times before, "I'm very stupid when it comes to figuring out all these computer applications and shortcuts." You shouldn't take ANYTHING for granted when you try to explain it to me.

By the way, I contacted Arch and he said there is no way the current format could be enhanced to allow me to post photos directly from my computer as I did before. It was very simple then, and I didn't have to use any outside service like Photobucket. That stinks!

Chris

I posted picks of a couple of seated liberties last night. I edited both obverse and reverse into one picture first but that isn't necessary. First I added both images as attachments using the File Manager link and submitted the post. Then I right clicked on the images to bring up the properties. In the properties pop-up window the URL of the image appears (you already know this part). Instead of typing that in just highlight it with your mouse and copy it with "ctrl-c". Then edit your post, place the cursor when you want the image and click on the "enter an image" icon. At this point you can paste the URL in with "ctrl-v" and submit.

I did that with both of my attachements and then removed both images from the File Manager. Since they had already been uploaded to the boards server they appeared in my post but not at the bottom as an attachment.

It looks like you had everything already working except for the cut and paste part so that you don't have to actually type anything.