• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1918 Buffalo came today i am lost !

3 posts in this topic

Hi all

i Won this on french eBay a couple of days ago and i just cannot work out wether it has a poor strike or is worn..

in the Buffalo nickels book by Lange

says that the "1918 is a scarce coin in all grades F & better & a Chronicaly poor strike"

also

The typical 1918 nickel is quite flat in the central obvers, the knot of the indians braid has no detal at all

So how do you grade one of these coins, how much lack of detail do you take into acount ?

there are 4 images 2 scans of the coin the right way up on the scanner and two upside down..

as a side note there seems to be a small amount of doubbling on the 18 in a S/W direction on the date

1918o.jpg

1918r2.jpg

1918.jpg

1918r.jpg

Cheers (thumbs u

There seems (to me) to be high-point rub on both sides. Most prominent on the obverse rim, and high points of the buffalo on the reverse (hip bone and tip of tail and the buffalo's left front leg). I'd grade the coin AU or XF, and am a bit concerned with the green verdigris. In any event, I would not call the coin MS.

Thanks for sharing...Mike

There seems (to me) to be high-point rub on both sides. Most prominent on the obverse rim, and high points of the buffalo on the reverse (hip bone and tip of tail and the buffalo's left front leg). I'd grade the coin AU or XF, and am a bit concerned with the green verdigris. In any event, I would not call the coin MS.

Thanks for sharing...Mike

Thanks for the information Mike very useful.. the green is not Verdigris it seems to be wax or crayon !!!

a am happy with XF as i paid little for the coin (thumbs u