• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Bogus 1807 Bustie on eBay

48 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what to grade it from the photos, but I would knock it down because of the ding. That's a significant ding. I like the coin, if I close my eyes to the ugly toning spot on the reverse. The ding doesn't bother me at all, but I would consider it large enough to lower the grade.

If you can trust the seller, it has potential. Though it is more of an XF40 or 45 than AU, and being raw, maybe worth around $1400 or so. The last XF 45 at heritage went for about that much a month ago.

Was it a large stars 114? I'd be interested to see one in xf-45 that sold for that price.

As far as the 114 on ebay, I don't consider it xf at all. From what I can see I'd call it in the VF range. The 114 is usually the best struck of all the die-pairings for the 1807 CBH in my experiences.

What, I killed the thread because I asked a question? Hahaha

Everyone is just now getting back up off their knees.

It is an awesome experience to have you make your presents in any Bust thread...you da man.

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=444&Lot_No=794&src=pr

It does supposedly have adjustment marks on the obverse...

Yeah, I kept track of that one, it's a POS IMO. I guess I should have asked where did a nice 114, and true XF trade for around 1500.00 recently? I ask this because what I have seen, and bought and sold a few..... they've been going for much, much, much more.

Here is one of my 114's graded 40 by PCGS. As I mentioned earlier, they have the best strike for the four die-pairings of the 1807 CBH. I believe this kinda makes my point.

1807_LS_114.jpg

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=444&Lot_No=794&src=pr

It does supposedly have adjustment marks on the obverse...

Yeah, I kept track of that one, it's a POS IMO. I guess I should have asked where did a nice 114, and true XF trade for around 1500.00 recently? I ask this because what I have seen, and bought and sold a few..... they've been going for much, much, much more.

Here is one of my 114's graded 40 by PCGS. As I mentioned earlier, they have the best strike for the four die-pairings of the 1807 CBH. I believe this kinda makes my point.

1807_LS_114.jpg

That is one yummy coin! :applause:

Thanks, I'm quite fond of it. I guess you know I'm just an 1807 "Hoe" heh heh

It is a great date to hoard, that is for sure. But do you have one of these, the 1807 die used in 1808? And also a great strike...

100_0523.jpg

100_0531.jpg

Looks like a nice 1808/7. I did have a very nice one, but when going after a few 07's I had to give it up. I wouldn't really say I "Hoard" the 1807 CBH. I just like them most. Some folks collect by date with same design. Since this design was only for two years, I guess I do indeed collect by date...... mainly one date.

Looks like a nice 1808/7. I did have a very nice one, but when going after a few 07's I had to give it up. I wouldn't really say I "Hoard" the 1807 CBH. I just like them most. Some folks collect by date with same design. Since this design was only for two years, I guess I do indeed collect by date...... mainly one date.

Therefore you must locate a gunky, crusty, original 8/7, for only then will your destiny be complete... :baiting:

Hey, the die was after all, made in '07...

If I could find the right one, I probably would go after a 1808/7 again. Of course it would be nice to have the one I let go, but that's the way it goes sometimes when ya work for a living.

Also, what makes it even tougher to find nice original Bust halves these days is almost all the dealers call anything with some tone on it "Original." And this has become more-so even with dealers that a while ago when they gave a description you could count on it being accurate. You will also notice everybody including dealers using the catch "Crusty." I recall a few years ago many folks didn't care for crusty. Now, anything that has a bit of tone they think they got crusty, when it's actually an impostor. Heh heh Kinda like "Rainbow" then everybody calling a coin with some tone on it "Rainbow."

Crusty is serious business. rantrant

If I could find the right one, I probably would go after a 1808/7 again. Of course it would be nice to have the one I let go, but that's the way it goes sometimes when ya work for a living.

Also, what makes it even tougher to find nice original Bust halves these days is almost all the dealers call anything with some tone on it "Original." And this has become more-so even with dealers that a while ago when they gave a description you could count on it being accurate. You will also notice everybody including dealers using the catch "Crusty." I recall a few years ago many folks didn't care for crusty. Now, anything that has a bit of tone they think they got crusty, when it's actually an impostor. Heh heh Kinda like "Rainbow" then everybody calling a coin with some tone on it "Rainbow."

Crusty is serious business. rantrant

I like the fact that our avatars are "Crusty". (:

Looks like this joker has multiple eBay accounts - one would think that he'd photo on a different surface and with a different Pen for his other auctions!

1795 Draped Bust Dollar - Phony?

I'm having a bit of trouble with this one though, as the coin carries the correct diagnostics in Bolender and Reiver.

hm

It just generally looks bad - any thoughts?

Well, some poor guy just paid $363 for the phony 1807 Bustie.

I have seen eBay cancel auctions before when Bogus coins appeared.

Why not this time?

What happened?

Yes, it does look like the same seller using the same pen to show the edge lettering. Too much of a coincidence that the Bogus 1807 seller and this seller both be in Tampa and BOTH using the same pen.

I know NOTHING about Early American Dollars. I will leave it up to you guys to determine if it is a real coin or not.

I think that dollar is scary. The quality looks very good and nothing about the obv or rev just jumps out at me saying fake. Without that view of the edge I probably would not question it. The edge on the other hand does NOT look right. The doubling of the A in Dollar, the fact that most all of the letters seem to be at different levels, the rotation of the D. I really don't think the edge dies were that sloppy. I don't recall them being that bad on the bust halves or the early cents. and they had been making edge dies for two years by the time this dollar would have been made. If they were able to do good job with the smaller edge dies for the cent and half, why would they blunder the larger dollar dies so bad?

Ebay seller rfcoins liks to sell counterfeits, and he has at least two different Ebay accounts under which he has done so. Here is another counterfeit 1807 Capped Bust Half:

see here

And here is the identical counterfeit 1795 Dollar (up for sale again) that Ebay ended the listing of under his other account earlier today:

see here