• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE**** Grades are back on the three Original Busties

37 posts in this topic

I was happy to see I was only two points away from the final tally, I had the 1822 at a @53 and the graders gave it a 55 which is good!

Interesting variations of the grades, amature vs. semi-professional/professional.

Mike, I agree - fascinating results. I know there are some good graders on these forums, and it would be really cool if it were possible to establish a threshold of "error" in these "guess the grade" threads, given that they are images rather than the actual coins. I think a five-point leeway either direction is very good.

I would love to see the luster on these coins in hand.

Mike,

A question please-Why were most everyone so down on the last 1824/1. I personally think it was by far the best of the coins. Probably one of the strongest reverse strikes for 1824 that I have seen. Also the coin with the least wear on the talons and the least actual wear of the coins. In order to better understand the bust grading process, educate me about this coin.

Thanks

jim, you're right on re the 1824/1, the reverse looks very very well struck, the obverse with central softness. I guess that's where the metal flowed (to the rear). when I first examined it, i was more interested in these coins historically and conditionally, outside of grade, so i basically gave it a quick grade assessment at 55-58. Honestly, i will have to re-examine this coin, particularly with the grading discrepancies going on, so when it comes back to me, i'll post my thoughts.

but yes, that reverse is something, isn't it...despite the spittle!

edited to add: when I bid on these coins, I wanted the 1824/1 the most, I thought it was a really really neat coin. the others were also wonderful in their own ways, but the 1824/1 had something special about it and i didn't want to walk away with the others and NOT the 1824/1. that was my biggest worry.

i have to also add, that...and this is just my meagre opinion, that when you study a coin, really study it, the grading thing can go different ways, particularly with these busties, strike issues, coloration, luster, surfaces, etc...

the professional graders have to look at these coins in seconds, come up with a decision and label it. done. end of story.

but the story really hasn't ended, and that's ok to me, finally accepting the limitations of the grading process and the variability that exists, such that i'll think a bustie is auxx or ms xx and a year later look back at it and think differently, but knowing WHY i thought it was something and now think differently and why. there's a lot to look at and a lot to see.

sorry to have rambled, but the variability especially in au58-64 and even higher grades (although I've examined very few) really astounds me. And I know pcgs and ngc enough to pretty much guess what they're going to say, even if I don't agree with it. just learned to accept it as 'their way'.

A few years back Sheridan auctioned the 1824/1 as XF 45 PQ. I asked him about his gradeflation on this coin. He stood by his most recent opinion, AU58. Looks like PCGS only saw it as AU 55. Maybe next time...