• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New lexington medal. Help please.

6 posts in this topic

I bought this medal the other day off Ebay. I bought it in a hurry thinking it was the battle of Lexington Mo, that's were my wife was born. I found out later it was not, Lexington, Concord, Lincoln, Menotomy (present-day Arlington), and Cambridge, near Boston.

So that's what I get for not knowing my History. I also no nothing about medals, I do, however, know for a fact that some people in here know a lot about them. So if you could be so kind, if you know anything about it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

medalobverse.jpg

medalreverse.jpg

I purchased the same medal a year ago while on vacation. Sorry I can't tell you anymore than what is on the medal but I look forward to any information that is shared about it.

I purchased the same medal a year ago while on vacation. Sorry I can't tell you anymore than what is on the medal but I look forward to any information that is shared about it.

Quite alright, maybe somebody out there can fill us in.

This is a SCHD (So-Called Half Dollar, SC50C). I believe Marty had some of these (including this one?) slabbed by NGC and they were designated as SC50C.

The words on the reverse indicate that it was minted by Whitehead & Hoag of Newark, NJ, a prolific medallic issuer at the turn of two centuries ago. This particular piece seems fairly popular on eBay. Here's some background from Nehushtan Antiques:

Whitehead & Hoag - Newark, NJ - 1890-mid 20th century

Whitehead & Hoag was first organized under New Jersey laws in 1892 with a capital of $500,000. Its progress has been so rapid that in 1899 the capital stock was increased to a million dollars, and the plant at Washington and Warren Streets, originally a three-story building 50 by 80 feet in floor dimensions, has been increased by the addition of a 50 by 100 feet four-story structure and another of like area and five stories in height. The aggregate of floor space is nearly one hundred thousand square feet, and there are several hundred persons employed by the company in the manufacture and sale of buttons, badges, banners, flags and an almost infinite variety of taking advertising novelties in celluloid, metal, ribbons, silk and woven fabrics. The plant, at the time of its creation, was one of the largest of its kin in the world, and the goods it produces were sold all over the civilized globe. The main business office was in Newark, NJ and at the works, but branch offices were maintained in no less than 30 leading cities, the one in London, England, being under the personal management of Mr. A. J. Keil, the secretary of the company. The other officers and directors were Newark's highly esteemed citizens.

Mr. Benjamin S. Whitehead: the president and is a native of Newark and a graduate of her public schools..

Mr. Chester R. Hoag, the vice-president, was born in Pennsylvania, but was a citizen of Newark for many years.

Mr. William A. Jones, the treasurer and counsel of the company, was a native of New York State. He was the active treasurer and legal adviser of the company.

Whitehead & Hoag LLC was one of the largest advertisement firms in the world at the turn of the century. They had huge contracts with companies like: Boeing, US Governtment, Guiness, Bud, Bass Ale, Starret, Bartels, Worlds Fair, and hundres more. They were also responsible for the patent of "Celluloid" A high quality compound used for printing that made the prints more durable and vibrant in color.