• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a new kind of NGC holder and can I get this for any coin?

5 posts in this topic

Not new - I've had several fractionals come back in those holders.

They regularly holder Cal Gold and other tiny coins in that type of holder. That clear gasket material is _much_ softer than the white NGC insert.

I'm guessing it helps to hold the coin better and prevent bending of those little thin guys when they holder them?

I agree it's not new. These have been around some time. If you search for NGC fractional gold, you'll see a lot of these. These holders are also used for some larger off-sized darkside.

The last time I asked about these on the Ask NGC board, I was told that you cannot request these holders. They should have the pieces in stock for regular sized coins already due to the multi-holders but these holders are probably more expensive due to the extra piece. There's also something to be said about holder consistency.

At a minimum, I'd like to see NGC use these regularly for small coins that are difficult to photo and get lost in the white plastic, e.g. half dismes, dimes, quarter eagles, etc. One of my pet peeves with NGC holders is the crescent shadow on many photos.