• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want List

Want List Poll  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Want List Poll

27 posts in this topic

I actually, for the first time, created a want list .

I haven't submitted it to any dealer, but I've been so discombobulated lately, that I decided to sit down and write out my true to heart want list.

No, I'm not going to reveal what my want list contains, but what I'd like to know is, have YOU ever created and/or submitted a want list to a dealer?

I'll make it easy, I'll make it a poll...but your comments are WELCOME!!! (thumbs u

While I don't particularly have a current want list, I have had success using this method in the past when i completed a nice set of Buffalo nickels back in the late 80's. Didn't mine paying a premium for the leg work incurred by the dealer. Now I just like the thrill of the hunt. :grin:

And one of these days i might just bag a 16_11_9.gif180px-Elmer_fudd.gif

I thought about it once but the reality is that what I want changes too frequently for me to target and focus on specific pieces. Although I've not been an active buyer for 2 years now, I will be buying some in the future. So maybe I will have a want list. Top of it is a 1797 16 star half dime, dime, or quarter that I can afford.

I currently have a single, serious want list with one dealer, but I do not know how actively the dealer is searching for the coins.

I have a want list of sorts, nothing formal, but I am actively seeking certain coins. Whether I can afford to purchase them is a different situation entirely.

I have a want list of sorts, nothing formal, but I am actively seeking certain coins. Whether I can afford to purchase them is a different situation entirely.

I believe that for a submitted want list to be serious that you must be able or willing to swing the purchase should the proper coin be found, otherwise, you are simply wasting the other person's time. However, if it is a want list that you keep to yourself then it really doesn't matter.

I gave mine to stinkycheese but nothing was ever done with it. :jokealert:

Just kidding stinky. This is going to hurt.

Actually, it would be nice to know a dealer to trust with such a list that when they called to tell you they had found an item you could trust them not to just be selling someone else's inventory for them and not really filling yours. I have no dealer nor know of such a dealer that I would trust with a list.

I believe that for a submitted want list to be serious that you must be able or willing to swing the purchase should the proper coin be found, otherwise, you are simply wasting the other person's time. However, if it is a want list that you keep to yourself then it really doesn't matter.

Okay Tom, calm down. I've never submitted it to any dealers. I also said that it was nothing formal, nothing typed out, etc.

Okay Tom, calm down. I've never submitted it to any dealers. I also said that it was nothing formal, nothing typed out, etc.

I didn't get the sense that Tom was worked up. I'd be very surprised if he needed to calm down (except after being told by you to calm down).

I talk to one dealer periodically about coins that I hope to find. If he finds something at a show, he'll give me a call and describe the coin. At this point, we know each other well enough so that I can either make a deal through him for the coin or, as is more often the case, he'll get the coin on the arm.

I've always worked with want lists.

I've given them to dealers at times, but with few good results. Most dealers won't service them any more. A lot of dealers are into quick turnover and fast deals. They also have had bad experiences with picky collectors.

As I dealer want lists are my bread and butter. Quite often times I can fill them. Sometimes I can't. I have to find the right coin for the collector or there is no deal. In more than ten years as a daaler I can count on one hand the number of coins that a want list customer has not purchased.

I have never put together a “want list” but I have given someone a list of what I currently have. At my stage in collecting the process of elimination is easier lol .

I submitted a list of coins for my albums to a local dealer. I returned several weeks later and he asked when I was going to get him a list!!!!!

"I have one but never submitted it to a dealer"

Definitely fits me.

On a side note, although I only dabble in dealing, I have a want list that fills two pages with 8-point text from at least 25 fellow collectors plus myself. I take it with me to every coin show, and do find coins on it regularly.

I've given my want list to a few dealers, but only had it work out well one time. Most of the coins I'm looking for are hard to find and don't cost much. Not a good combo for the dealers. I did get one of my favorite coins by putting a want ad in my sig line for a year or so across the street. It's the best of the three that I've gotten in 7-8 years of looking.

1902col50c.jpg

I don't know about you guys but the very few times I gave any list to a dealer it was IGNORED from what I could tell. No calls. No emails. Nothing. So I really don't even bother.....

I do what Physics does: Take a list so I don't end up buying an duplicates by accident....

jom

I don't know about you guys but the very few times I gave any list to a dealer it was IGNORED from what I could tell. No calls. No emails. Nothing. So I really don't even bother.....

I do what Physics does: Take a list so I don't end up buying an duplicates by accident....

jom

I have a number of want lists on file which I pursue, but don't usually call or email the clients, simply because I have nothing to report. I feel that is preferable to wasting their time with something which isn't up to par. On rare occasions I will send an email to let them know I haven't forgotten about them, but that I haven't yet found what they are looking for.

I've used a want list with one dealer and was very satisfied with the results. Within a year I had the coins I let them pursue for me and remain very pleased. I would not hesitate to use this dealer's services again, especially in their areas of expertise.

Like many collectors my wants and pursuits change over time. I have a running "want" list in my head, usually coins to fill certain niches in my collection or an upgrade to a coin that I already possess.

Much of the fun in collecting for me is the hunt for a particular coin. Remove the hunt and part of the joy goes away.

Pretty much like 123cents and TJ-----my want list is pretty much in my head. And the "HUNT" makes it for me too. Not that I would turn down some help on occasion if it was offered.

Also, if some coins come along that are too good to pass up, then I can change my thinking in a hurry. Recently, for example, I had the opportunity to purchase 2 sets of Washington Quarters in UNC from 1943--1964. Both sets had been housed in Wayte Raymond pages since minting. It took me exactly NO TIME AT ALL to close the deal. The toning was well, just beyond belief. Bob [supertooth]

I believe that this is a better idea that might work for US coin collectors. Most dealers never have what I collect and if they do, the quality is not good enough. I did submit a want list on-line once and never received any notification even though they occasionally offer what I collect. I just check there website every day and on Wednesday, I bought one item.

if i was buying which i am currently not

but if i was buying a want list is to my detrimint

it is better to go look for the specific item yourself and along the way you will find other things that are for sale that not only are much better than the coin youare searching for but which represent more opportunity value and sexiness for you which you can buy

a true want list for me is if i go out to look at a large show for example and usually i will find something that when i look at it this item instantly becomes on my want list and is a great coin coool sexy and great opportunity and value