• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And now for something completly different...Premier Silver Proof Sets

11 posts in this topic

Picture021.jpgPicture020.jpgPicture018.jpg

I got a 1994 Premier Silver proof set for my birthday from two of my grandkids. It represents the oldest ones birth year 1994. What a great gift and a very nice set of coins.

Are these sets (first one I own) appreciating in value? I was impressed with the Gov't packaging, very plush, perhaps they've inadvertently turned me on to these?

Nice looking set. I've thought about putting together a run of premier or prestige sets. And by the way, the thread title should be "And now for something completely different..."

The premier and silver Proof sets are something special because they were the first U.S. Proof sets that contained 90% coins in almost 30 years. These sets in the black cases were the forebears of the current State Quarter silver Proofs.

The premier sets came in a heavy case with glass windows. The packaging was something special, but many dealers and some collectors did not like them because the cases were heavy and had more baulk. For those reasons the series ended when the State quarter Program came on line. Today the premier sets mostly sell for the same price as the sets in the conventional mint Proof sets holders.

Thanks Bill

I knew about the Prestige Proof Sets with the commemorative coins included, but this is the first Premier set I see close up like this. I see now where the the 1995 Premier is the most coveted...why couldn't my daughter have waited another month or so instead of giving birth in 1994 lol

btw SatTech, I changed the title. doh!

I like the Prestige Set with the $ commem, but I wish they had been struck in 90% silver, too. I just don't understand why the Mint chose to (and still does!) put clad coinage and a silver commem together.

Chris

The premier sets came in a heavy case with glass windows. The packaging was something special, but many dealers and some collectors did not like them because the cases were heavy and had more baulk. For those reasons the series ended when the State quarter Program came on line.

close, the last year was 1997 and the state quarters didn't come on line until the years after next. It was known in early 97 that it would be the last year for those sets and I don't know if the state quarters had been authorized at that time yet.

One fallicy I did note, that the spring action of the fold out design allows the lid with the extended locking tab to spring closed, scuffing the reverse of the lens.

doh!