Last January I posted a Journal delineating eleven Numismatic Goals and Objectives that I hoped to achieve in 2012. Today's Journal will review those Goals and Objectives and evaluate how successful I was in meeting them.
In order to understand how I determined my 2012 Numismatic Goals and objectives it is important for the reader to know two important points about my personal philosophy of collecting. Point number one is that I collect US/Philippine coins and notes as part of a broader study of that historic time in US/Philippine history. The second point is that I put a high value on using my collection to share what I have learned about US/Philippine history with other collectors.
For the past several years the main focus of my collecting has been my competitive "USA/Philippines Type Set". Last year NGC awarded this set a "2011 Best Presented Set Award".
My first three numismatic goals related to improvements that I wanted to make in my "USA/Philippines Type Set":
1) Expand the Set Description of my "USA/Philippines Type Set" to include more detail regarding the history of this series.
2) Upgrade the quality of the photographs of my "USA/Philippines Type Set" so that 50% of the photographs are high resolution images.
GOAL NOT ACCOMPLISHED: While I upgraded a few of my photos to high resolution images this is definitely an area that I need to work on. It will certainly be one of my high priority objectives for 2013.
3) Upgrade the average technical grade of the coins in my "USA/Philippines Type Set" to MS/PF 65.0 or above.
GOAL ACCOMPLISHED: During 2012 I made several significant upgrades to my "USA/Philippines Type Set" bringing the average technical grade of this Set to MS/PF 65.00. The additions included several spectacular high end proofs including; a 1908 Half Centavo (NGC PF65 RD), a 1906 Fifty Centavos (NGC PF66), and a Top Pop 1904 One Centavo (NGC PF67 RB).
My fourth and fifth numismatic goals related to improvements that I wanted to make in my other Competitive Registry Sets:
4) Have an Owners Description for 100% of the coins in all of my Competitive Registry Sets.
5) Have at least a low resolution image for 100% of the coins in all of my Competitive Registry Sets.
My next four Numismatic Goals related to my Custom Registry Sets:
6) Complete my "1908 USA/Philippines Proof Set" and unlock it for public view.
GOAL ACCOMPLISHED: During 2012 I completed my "1908 USA/Philippines Proof Set". When NGC created a competitive set for this category I deleted my "Custom Set" and set up a competitive "1908 USA/Philippines Proof Set". This set is currently the top ranked 1908 Proof Set and was recognized by NGC with a "2012 Best Classic Set" award. http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=143079&Ranking=all
7) Expand the Set Description of my "Coins and Medals of the United States Manila Mint" Custom Registry Set to include more detailed information regarding the history of the mint.
8) Have detailed Owners Descriptions for 100% of the coins and medals in my "Coins and Medals of the United States Manila Mint" Custom Registry Set.
9) Have images for 100% of the coins and medals in my "Coins and Medals of the United States Manila Mint" Custom Registry Set.
My final two Numismatic Goals related to expanding my knowledge about this important time and place in American history and sharing this knowledge with the Collectors Society community:
10) Expand my personal reference library by at least four new acquisitions. For example: out of print numismatic journals, books, and historical documents.
GOAL ACCOMPLISHED: During 2012 I acquired a number of historically important books and documents. The additions included several out of print books written by the government officials, generals, and Guerilla leaders that played pivotal roles in the history of the Philippines under United States Sovereignty, official histories written by "The Historical Section of the Philippine Army", and certified copies of original documents from the National Archives. I was also privileged to acquire some of the original research notes and personal correspondence of the noted numismatic researcher and historian C.M. Nielsen.
11) Post at least two well thought out and illustrated Collectors Journal entries each month on some aspect of USA/Philippine coins or US/Philippine history.
GOAL ACCOMPLISHED: I surpassed this goal several times over posting 112 illustrated Collectors Journal entries during 2012. Hopefully my fellow Collectors Society members found my Journals informative. I was honored to be recognized by NGC with a "2012 Journal Award".
SUMMARY & CONCLUSIONS
I am really pleased that I was able to achieve ten of the eleven Numismatic Goals that I set for myself at the beginning of the year.
The only goal that was not achieved was to upgrade the images in my "USA/Philippines Type Set" to high resolution photographs. This will definitely be one of my high priority objectives for 2013. I still have a certificate for five free NGC Photo Proofs of coins from this set that I will use for this purpose. Since my "1908 Proof Set" won a "2012 Best Classic Set" award I will be receiving a certificate for five free NGC Photo Proofs from that set. Since several of the coins in my "1908 Proof Set" are also in my "USA/Philippines Type Set" this will give me an opportunity to obtain at least four NGC Photo Proofs that can be used for both sets.
To see old comments for this Journal entry, click here. New comments can be added below.