• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
0
  • entries
    445
  • comments
    1,336
  • views
    46,591

I guess we'll see what we see...

0
Revenant

260 views

Shandy and I have a couple's weekend coming up that originally started as going to a concert for her birthday and has turned into spending a couple of nights away over Father's Day weekend while the kids stay with their grandparents. As part of this we're thinking about jogging over to a coin store on the other side of the metro area, near where we used to live and where my old office was located. 

I have about $3,150 sitting in my coin budget and I'll have about $3,350 when we make the trip unless I spend some of it in the interim. So I've got the cash I need for that 1924 MS65 double eagle, if I can find one that looks worth the money.

I've seen a couple go on eBay recently for about $2,800 in MS65. I'm also seeing some going in MS64 for more like $2,500-2,600 - not much over melt.

My inclination up to this point has been to go for an MS65 to get into the GEM BU range, but I'm also wondering if I should consider a good looking MS64, given the price, and essentially treating it like a nice bullion purchase.

Of course, this depends on finding the coin. I joked with my wife that I need to go in prepped for disappoint to a certain degree if I'm going into a local store looking to find a specific coin in a specific year in a specific grade - and I want it to be NGC graded preferably, just so it'll look nice with the other gold coins.

But I'm going to go just to get to go to a coin store in person for a while and I might buy that coin or I might buy something completely different.

0



7 Comments


Recommended Comments

On 5/27/2024 at 11:33 AM, coinsbygary said:

I hope you find the perfect coin!:takeit:

Thanks! Mostly telling myself to be patient. It has taken a while to build up the cash and looking for the coin can take a while. Meanwhile, I can start having a little more freedom to spend some of my spending money on other, smaller, things while I wait.

Link to comment

There are many really nice 24's, currently on a facebook group for pre 33 gold two reputable sellers have sweet MS64's for sale.   One is NGC with CAC green bean priced at $2,585, the other is in a CAC MS64 holder at $2,560.   So be sure to shop around, there are some really good coins at great prices outside of a brick and mortar shop.

Link to comment
On 5/30/2024 at 3:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

There are many really nice 24's, currently on a facebook group for pre 33 gold two reputable sellers have sweet MS64's for sale.   One is NGC with CAC green bean priced at $2,585, the other is in a CAC MS64 holder at $2,560.   So be sure to shop around, there are some really good coins at great prices outside of a brick and mortar shop.

What are the names of the Facebook groups you use?

 

Edit: I'm in the group now and see the posts you're talking about. People in that group in general seem a lot more reasonable in their pricing than on eBay, even if you add 3-4%, but I'm not sure I'm in love with going "feeless" and giving up buyer protections by essentially scamming PayPal / Venmo.

Edited by Revenant
Link to comment

"  My inclination up to this point has been to go for an MS65 to get into the GEM BU range, but I'm also wondering if I should consider a good looking MS64, given the price, and essentially treating it like a nice bullion purchase." 

 

   I am sort of a "quality snob" when it comes to gold. Gold coins do not appeal to me in any grade under 65, (and usually 66, the way TPG grading runs these days), unless, as you said, I am considering them as bullion. I would definitely hold out for the nicest piece that I could find.

Enjoy your time with your wife. You guys deserve a break.

Link to comment
On 5/30/2024 at 1:06 PM, Revenant said:

What are the names of the Facebook groups you use?

 

Edit: I'm in the group now and see the posts you're talking about. People in that group in general seem a lot more reasonable in their pricing than on eBay, even if you add 3-4%, but I'm not sure I'm in love with going "feeless" and giving up buyer protections by essentially scamming PayPal / Venmo.

Yes the pricing is very fair for the most part, I have not been following that group for very long myself, and I have not bought anything from anyone there either.   I started to look at that group and others both on FB and platforms like insta about a month ago.   I have always known that ebay sellers have to upcharge their coins due to the fees, especially true if an ebay seller doesn't have an ebay store.   But I was surprised at how many coins are being sold on these social media platforms and how much more reasonable the prices are in many cases.

Obviously doing business with a seller on one of these platforms doesn't have to involve going around paypal, some will take checks or money orders, many do take paypal goods and services (just with the added 4% for fees), and some are even willing to do layaways.    I was just giving you some additional data points on where the market for gold is outside of the standard commercial outlets, it never hurts to have options and data before you attempt to do some buying.   Actually, several of the sellers on that FB group do sell on ebay, just at higher prices.   If you saw something that really piqued your interest you might be able to arrange a payment solution that works for you both.

But however it happens I hope you find one that you will be happy with.

Link to comment
On 5/30/2024 at 9:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

Obviously doing business with a seller on one of these platforms doesn't have to involve going around paypal, some will take checks or money orders, many do take paypal goods and services (just with the added 4% for fees), and some are even willing to do layaways.    I was just giving you some additional data points on where the market for gold is outside of the standard commercial outlets, it never hurts to have options and data before you attempt to do some buying.   Actually, several of the sellers on that FB group do sell on ebay, just at higher prices.   If you saw something that really piqued your interest you might be able to arrange a payment solution that works for you both.

But however it happens I hope you find one that you will be happy with.

Yeah, and I hear ya on all that. I'm open to doing things outside of eBay and such but I'd probably pay the 3-4% just because you give up a lot of protection when you lie to do friends&family an such and it seems like a dumb risk on a $2,600 purchase in service of saving $80. I just don't get why some people do these things.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now