To Cross, Sell or Trade...
Entry posted by Revenant ·
The coin that can no longer function as part of the registry set.
When I started looking at my collection again recently, trying to decide where I might want to try to start working on it again I knew I wanted to just focus on one, maybe two things for now and try to make that set pretty awesome (to the extent my time and budget allows).
I thought it would be fun to try to finish my 1875-1889 Netherlands 10G set since it's classic gold and I wanted to work on a gold set, but I quickly realized that something was missing from my registry set: my MS67 1875 -- which happens to be a PCGS graded coin. Apparently it got bumped by a rules change 4 years ago. If that coin was still in my set I'd have been beating the current #1 set for the last 4 years... kind of a bummer, but, oh well, them's the breaks sometimes. Life has kept me too busy to pay attention or care the last few years.
I've been trying to decide what I want to do about the situation and the coin. I'm not sure if I should try to send it in for cross grading, sell it and buy an NGC graded MS67 -- probably taking a bit of a loss in the process, or just keep it and buy a new NGC graded 1875 at some point.
It's a pretty coin, and one of the first ones I bought for the set and I find that I'm loathe to give it up. At the same time, I'm not sure it's worth it to me to re-up my membership for this one coin to be cross graded since I don't submit very often. But I'm worried I'd take that much or more of a loss trying to sell the coin and buy a replacement -- assuming I can even find an MS67 NGC graded coin and not have to settle for an MS66. I'd also considered finding a local shop that could cross-grade it for me, but I don't know of any at the moment that could or world.
Simply buying another coin would be pretty easy - even if it meant not getting another MS67. NGC graded 1875s in MS65 and sometimes MS66 are frequently for sale on eBay for mostly reasonable prices. The 1875 is easily the most common coin in the series with over 4 million made that year - some of the other dates in the set had a mintage of less than 50,000.
I'm not really in a rush to make a decision or a move on it. I'm going to continue finding coins to fill other holes in the set right now and improving the overall set while I can -- like getting a really nice 1877 when I can find a coin and swing the price. I at least have a solid 1875 in my set for the time being, even if I can't have it in my registry.
To see old comments for this Journal entry, click here. New comments can be added below.
There are no comments to display.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now