• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a quick comment on NGC's Registry set up...

20 posts in this topic

I don't visit the Registry sites too often, neither here nor at PCGS. Just for the heck of it I took a look at one of board members Roosey sets (FC57's). Let me just say that not only does NGC's web design for their Registry kick the krap out of PCGS's, the way the picture is displayed (when there is one) emphasizes the COIN rather than the SLAB. Which is how it should be.

Great job, NGC!

jom

jom,

I've participated in both registries. While I truly believe that NGC's is superior as it recognizes that coins common in low grades may become rare in high grades and scores accordingly, I do want to clarify that in both registries, the pics are up to the user. Each user has the ability to load a picture of their choosing, and can choose to emphasize either the coin, or the coin in the slab.

I do find one thing very annoying about the NGC sets. It is very time consuming and takes many clicks to view pictures.

I wanted to see every picture that was in the Toned Dollars Morgan Registry set. So I click on a coin. Then I have to click on the small icon to see a decent sized picture. After viewing the picture I must close the extra window. Then I click the back button. Then I click on a new coin and repeat.

It is far easier to view photos in the PCGS set up. Once you get to a photo there is a next image and previous image button. Just click the button and you get the next image. That is soooo much easier, just one click to see the next image.

Each user has the ability to load a picture of their choosing

I didn't know that and I stand corrected. It is just that every time I've seen pics on the PCGS site it has been a full shot with the slab in all its "glory". I admittedly do not go there very often however. But even with Carl's valid points I still like the "look" of the NGC site better...

I was once interested in doing a registry just to "show off" the coins but I just use my website now so I've kind of blown it off.

jom

jom - I saw your post the other day about the AU set of eagles that you put up on CU boards at one time. I can't stand the kind of snobbery you faced and hope that you'll consider placing it here. I put my registry sets up for two reasons: (1) I want to say something about the coins and the set and would like to share a little knowledge in the process; and (2) I want to promote this as a fun aspect to the hobby. I really like the sets where people talk about their coins and provide the details necessary to understand both the coin in question and also how that relates to the rest of the series. So, I'd love to learn from you and read about the eagle set and see what can be seen.

If this were all about competition, I'd be outta here. My sets will never be #1, either virtually or in reality. Just look at the coins listed in the #1 buffalo nickel collection. Great coins - well, they must be frown.gif. No pics or descriptions and, I'm sorry, but the grades do not speak for themselves. Still, I will NEVER have such a collection, so I'm permanently beat laugh.giflaugh.gif

Thanks for your comments here. Hope you'll put your set up! (BTW - I have a hankerin' to collect AU $5 Indians. The MS stuff is too expensive and there are some GREAT AU pieces out there!)

Hoot

If this were all about competition, I'd be outta here. My sets will never be #1, either virtually or in reality. Just look at the coins listed in the #1 buffalo nickel collection. Great coins - well, they must be frown.gif. No pics or descriptions and, I'm sorry, but the grades do not speak for themselves. Still, I will NEVER have such a collection, so I'm permanently beat laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hoot, the grades DO speak for themselves. They say -- this coin will spend the majority of its' life in a bank vault. wink.gif

Not that this is a bad thing, but I do like the fact that most of my coins are inexpensive enough that I can keep a couple around the house and appreciate them.

Hoot: First of all I saw this:

(BTW - I have a hankerin' to collect AU $5 Indians. The MS stuff is too expensive and there are some GREAT AU pieces out there!)

Stay the hell away. That's my area! I got enough trouble finding peices let alone have MORE competition. $5 Indians are horrible to collect...really...they are...really. laugh.gif

The MS stuff is too expensive and there are some GREAT AU pieces out there

Seriously, before you go do this you and I need to have a talk. If you've never looked at the series you'll need a primer...believe me...lol BTW, if you know where these AU pieces are, please tell me. I can't find any... frown.gif

(1) I want to say something about the coins and the set and would like to share a little knowledge in the process;

That's why I put up my website. I've got some actual info on my Buffalo page now. Where I bought the coins, from who and when.

(2) I want to promote this as a fun aspect to the hobby

Hopefully, my lame little site will encourage others to take photos also and share! Mmmmm...Me like photos...ugh

I can't stand the kind of snobbery you faced and hope that you'll consider placing it here.

To be fair that particular grader later took care of the problem I had that actually started that discussion. I don't think he was being a "snob" or "jerk". He was just showing off the pervasive attitude (that seems to be ingrained) that many have when it comes to the Registry.

Hopefully, my lame little site will encourage others to take photos also and share! Mmmmm...Me like photos...ugh

Need a link to the site in your sig line or in your profile so that we don't have to dig up the thread where it was mentioned. wink.gif

• Administrator
I do find one thing very annoying about the NGC sets. It is very time consuming and takes many clicks to view pictures.

I wanted to see every picture that was in the Toned Dollars Morgan Registry set. So I click on a coin. Then I have to click on the small icon to see a decent sized picture. After viewing the picture I must close the extra window. Then I click the back button. Then I click on a new coin and repeat.

It is far easier to view photos in the PCGS set up. Once you get to a photo there is a next image and previous image button. Just click the button and you get the next image. That is soooo much easier, just one click to see the next image.

Hmmm... good point.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I prefer several aspects about the NGC Registry - the weighting is more accurate and the Obverse/Reverse picture setup is better. I also like the denomination Type Sets.

I prefer several aspects about the PCGS Set Registry - the flags that show updated sets, the ability to cruise the pictures, etc.

But, PCGS wins hands down on promotion of their Registry. NGC has yet to do any awards, get togethers, etc. Whether that is good or bad is an individual choice, I guess.....

Hoot, the grades DO speak for themselves. They say -- this coin will spend the majority of its' life in a bank vault. wink.gif

27_laughing.gif I wonder if the fellow even has pictures for himself? frown.gif

Hoot

Stay the hell away. That's my area! I got enough trouble finding peices let alone have MORE competition. $5 Indians are horrible to collect...really...they are...really. laugh.gif

Okay, that did it! I know of an AU58 1912 and where I can go buy it RIGHT NOW! grin.gif

Seriously, before you go do this you and I need to have a talk. If you've never looked at the series you'll need a primer...believe me

Okay, prime away! I've gotta have 'em! Gimme gold! (Just a little handled 893whatthe.gif) Those Pratt and Saint-Gaudens Indian designs! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

BTW - I like your site a lot. Like Keith said, you need the link in your sig line makepoint.gif

goodevil.gif Hoot

Okay, that did it! I know of an AU58 1912 and where I can go buy it RIGHT NOW!

You are getting sleeepy...SLEEEEEPY.... Now you will tell me the source of this cooooinnnn. After I snap my fingers you won't remember a thing after you awake. (SNAP!)

Hey, Hoot. I've just purchaed a 1912 Half Eagle...muahhahah. (jom ---> evil) laugh.gif

OK, I guess I'll put my site on my sig or sig on my site or whatever...lol

jom

Hey, Hoot. I've just purchaed a 1912 Half Eagle...muahhahah. (jom ---> evil) laugh.gif

AH HA!!! It's a quarter eagle, you evil one! goodevil.gif I'll never tell, NEVER TELL!!!!!! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAH!!!

AH!

Hoot

See? It worked. I got you collecting $2.5 instead of $5 gold!

BUHAHAHAH! goodevil.gif

Hoot: Check out my Buff section of my site. Got some info there. Any suggestions for improvement?

jom

See? It worked. I got you collecting $2.5 instead of $5 gold!

BUHAHAHAH! goodevil.gif

Hoot: Check out my Buff section of my site. Got some info there. Any suggestions for improvement?

jom

Oh NO!!!!!!! I've condemned myself! Can't tell the difference between a $2.5, quarter eagle, $5 and a half eagle!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Okay, right! It was a $5, a half eagle makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person! BUT IT'S MINE, well, maybe if I buy it. But THAT'S another matter entirely!

Simple advice on that buff collection: STAY THE HELL AWAY! 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif Please send your collection to: Hoot, Warm Springs Mental Hospital, 1803 Louisiana Been Purchased Drive, Butte, Montana, WKRPTV

Hoot

jom - Exquisite buffs in a really nicely matched set, overall. I particularly like the 19-S and the 30. The 19-S is simply unreal for the issue with vastly better detail than usually seen. The 30 is simply an exquisite example of that issue to me. Rarely are those so fetching - that's why I've passed on MANY and don't own one yet. They all come with terrible detail on the Indian's hair kont and in the shoulder of the bison. The trick is finding one that's not marred in those areas and that booms lustre. Good find. (Darin (BigD5) is a top-notch seller). BTW, the 23 is likely undergraded. Looks like a 65 to me.

Hoot

Carl hit this one on the head. If Arch can do something to help this out a little, fewer clicks to see the next photo, most people would appreciate the effort.

Being able to see both the obverse and reverse seperately in the NGC Registry, in my opinion, is far superior to the PCGS Registry. Also it seems that a photo submitted here at NGC comes out with a sharper look.

Another item I like here is the running total of views a set has. This gives the owner a little idea that the work put in has not just been a waste of time. I believe people that put pictures up do this for others to enjoy. Certainly a owner does not do the work for himself to enjoy because he can see the coin anytime the desire hits. Of course the total views can be ran up by the owner if he does not Log in first.

Truthfully I have not looked at many other sets with photos here on the NGC site because it is just way too time consuming.

Ken