• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I learned something yesterday... did you know it?

11 posts in this topic

Peg-leg Ike.

ding - ding - ding...

Peg-Leg Ike thumbsup2.gif

I still don't know a lot; but the "peg-leg" comes from the fact that the serif on the bottom left leg of the R in Liberty is missing. I think I read that during die polishing that on some dies the serifs were buffed off.

What is neat to me is that you can find interesting numismatic curiosities in otherwise common inexpensive coins.

Maybe there is an IKE collector who can enlighten us all. Here are some other pics:

IFYDC-1971SIke002.jpgJICHX-1971SIke003.jpg

CJGWU-1971SIke005.jpg

GYYYT-1971SIke001.jpg

Peg leg Ike -- the lack of the serif on the lower left leg of the R is the giveaway.

Nice find...Mike

[edited to add: looks like Tom beat me to it. frustrated.gif ]

Now that is a new one on me. I had never heard of a "PegLeg" Ike before. Is that only with the Proof coin or Circulated also?

Now that is a new one on me. I had never heard of a "PegLeg" Ike before. Is that only with the Proof coin or Circulated also?

The "peg leg" is present on both proof and business struck coins. However, the proofs are both more common and more obvious to the naked eye.

Gandyjai's Ike error pesentation set includes several pics of peg-leg MS examples: http://www.collectors-society.com/regist...CollectionID=60

Personally, the peg legs never really interested me -- the variety, in my opinion, is nothing more than a worn die thus making it a "variety" seems rather contrived. While I take nothing away from those who enjoy collecting these, to me it is nothing more than a die state -- neat to cherrypick but not worth any premium when buying.

All IMHO, respectfully submitted...Mike

Maybe there is an IKE collector who can enlighten us all.

I believe that Billy Crawford (Die Varieties) co-authored a book on Ikes. I've been trying to locate a copy of it without success.

Chris