• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

concerning coin buying and choices

6 posts in this topic

what would you consider value buys in the current market?

something that has for you in your mind no downside risk with much upside potential?

sincerely michael

Gold, gold and gold. Any series from the $2.50 & $5.00 and other gold through Saints. They are all at historic lows, along with some silver coins. The Seated and Barber series coins are also very cheap right now. Seated coins are very scarce right now in better dates. However, if you look at most Barber dates, aside from a few common ones, they are priced really low compared to their scarcity and they are still available. Someday someone is going to wake up and realize how much value is out there for very low prices.

For now, I have been buying as much $5, $10 and $20 gold as I can, although limited in what I can spend. I feel strongly that this strategy will pay off in the long run (God! I hope it will). tongue.gif

Attractively toned, choice AU bust and seated coinage.

If someone is looking for coins that have relatively low downside risk, are interesting to collect, but with uncertain upside potential -- nice looking, MS64 classic commems. Many of these seem to be almost free. Will they ever catch on?

I would agree with Oldtrader, expecially Saints. You can buy a lot of better dates from the teens for little premium over their more common cousins, the 08NM and the common P-mints from the 20s. I collect double eagles so there is my bias, but if you look at the premium to the gold value, generally the larger the coin the lower the premium (with the exception of $50 slugs/commems), so your downside is more limited.