• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the 3 ugliest coin designs by the US Mint?

42 posts in this topic

3) Reverse of the Ohio .25

As a native Buckeye, I gotta agree with you. Not one hint of the Buckeye State...the "Birthplace of Presidents"...no they have to continue to try and fool themselves about this "aviation pioneers" . NOBODY, except possibly the families of Neil Armstrong and the Wright Brothers, think of Ohio when they think of aviation. Ohio had one really nice design submitted which included a cardinal (state bird) and a buckeye branch...but no we had to use the moon man and a stolen clip from the NC quarter. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

And my picks...

1. tie SBA and Sacajacrappa tongue.giffrown.gif

2. Peace dollar...I just can't seem to warm up to that one...

3. Trade dollar...has potential, but I just can't see it. Maybe if I'd see a reaaly gem one.

Honorary mention to the Shriver dollar...(as a commem I didn't put it in the regular category...butt ugly)...and Barber quarters/halves...(love the obverse, but don't care much for the reverse.) smirk.gif

I have to disagree with you, Prowler, that the Flowing Hair design was among the worst. Yes, I think that the Drapped Bust was an improvement, but in high grade the coins do have their charms.

Check out the attached picture of the 1794 half dime.

65026-1794HDO.JPG.818fc0f701ced868090c173f9b7b4720.JPG

BJ,

Your coin is very nice looking, but I still don't like the design. I live in Manhattan, and grew up in NJ. Around here, we see lots of women from the outer boroughs and the surrounding 'burbs whom we affectionately refer as having wind-tunnel tested hairdos. (They're also what we can the bridge-n-tunnel crowd.)

That's what that design reminds me of...

smile.gif

EVP