• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should 2005 and 2006 SMS Coins have their own slots?

Should 2005 and 2006 SMS Coins have their own slots?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should 2005 and 2006 SMS Coins have their own slots?

10 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Currently, the NGC Registry includes just one slot for 2005 and 2006 circulating coin types. For example, in the Lincoln Cents set, there is a single 2005-P slot. The registrant can enter either a 2005-P circulation issue or a 2005-P SMS from a Mint Set.

We receive emails requesting that SMS coins have their own slots, and emails praising our decision to keep them together. What do you think that we should do?

Note that this change would affect denomination sets, Lincoln Cents, Jefferson Nickels, Roosevelt Dimes, States Quarters, Kennedy Half Dollars and Sacagawea Dollars. If this is strongly supported we will create separate 2005 and 2006 Mint Sets that have additional slots for both SMS and MS coins.

I don't collect them both as registry sets--mine are in the original Mint packaging. But if I was to participate in this as a registry set, I would want them separate.

Scott hi.gif

I think the SMS coins should be removed from the business strike set altogether and a seperate set made for SMS coins. I realize, however, that this would be tough since the series just started just 2 years ago.

I Try to collect both (though not in NGC slabs). Lumping them together tends to say that they're the same, they aren't really. They're made differently and where it can be relatively easy to get a superior (MS 68+) SMS coin, it's a far harder trick to get a higher grade business strike. From what I understand, there's also a huge pt bonus being attached to SMS coins that I think should be more limited.

Even though it costs more to collect coins and harder to complete a set ABSOLUTELY and without a doubt they need to have there own slot! Between a Business Strike and a Satin Finish (SMS)from the same year and mint, they are two different coins. I'm not sure why this is even a question and not sure why NGC Registry didn't do it from the start. MY VOTE YES!!

should have been done from the start!

i started a thread about this about a year ago that was basically ignored. its good to see NGC cares enough to even ask.

I totally believe that the SMS coins should have their own slot within the circulating sets. The mint produces both types. One is burnished and one isn't. You have a separate slot for the Silver & Gold MS Eagles between burnished and non-burnished. I know the burnished carry the "W" mintmark. The 1965, 66, & 67 Kennedy's carry separate slots between the SMS and business strike coins.

My vote is yes.

• Administrator

Although voter turnout was underwhelming, we are moving forward and extracting SMS coins from MS slots. We have also received a handful of emails that support this change.

This change will be implemented gradually over the next two weeks. As SMS coins are made ineligible for MS slots, coins may automatically be removed from your set and you may notice score changes. YOUR COINS HAVE NOT BEEN DELETED, but you will have to repopulate affected slots by using the 'Available Coins' button in your edit set view.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

available_coins.jpg

The MS and SMS slots have now been separated in the 2005 and 2006 Mint Sets.

Please remember, as SMS coins are made ineligible for MS slots, coins may automatically be removed from your set and you may notice score changes. YOUR COINS HAVE NOT BEEN DELETED, but you will have to repopulate affected slots by using the 'Available Coins' button in your edit set view.

Thank you for your patience during this transition.