• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are bronze medals and commenmoratives coins worth collecting?

15 posts in this topic

Define "worth."

Also, it depends on the Bronze Medals and the Commemoratives.

Classic commemoratives, minted from the late 1800's up until the 1950's, are somewhat worthwhile to collect.

However, the "commemoratives" minted by such companies as The Franklin Mint, are probably not worth your time and money.

And Bronze medals also depend. Some medals are worth very large sums of money, while others are barely worth the Bronze they're made of.

That being said, collect what you like!

What kind of medals?

Franklin Mint medals?

US Mint medals that one can still buy from the Mint?

US Mint medals that aren't being produced anymore?

Limited edition medals by Medallic Art Co. or one of the other private minters?

I don't think most of us are out to give you a hard time on this thread, there are simply so many variables you have not defined that it makes producing any sort of answer near impossible.

Something is "worth collecting" if you enjoy collecting and owning it. That's what being a collector is all about.

Now if you are talking about making money, that's a whole separate issue. Some collectors are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a 1995-W silver eagle because the mintage was "only" 30,195. (There are many 19th century coins that have minrage equal to or lower than that, and those coins have been made even scarcer because large numbers of the original mintages no longer exist.) If I owned 1995-W silver eagle, my main interest would be in selling it and using the money to buy something I would want a great deal more.

One man's junk is another man's valuable collectable.

i apologize for being so vague.

hows the 'value' of the modern medals etc in terms of appreciation.

Well, do you mean "artistic appreciation" or "financial appreciation" wink.gif