• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new 201 year old pocket piece and Panamanian Balboa

9 posts in this topic

I've never been one to carry a pocket piece, but I just got this 1806 Great Britain half penny today as a bonus with the 1947 Panamanian Balboa I just bought.

Both were sort of spur-of-the-moment buys, but I got the Balboa for $11 shipped and the seller threw in the ha'penny at my request. I'm not exactly sure how the seller was able to tell it was an 1806, as I can barely make out a six if I squint funny and imagine hard, but for free (technically the coin was $1 and the balboa was discounted $1) - I'm willing to take the seller's word for it. He said the 1806 was in good condition, but I'm thinking it is closer to PR-2.

I like the idea of carrying a 200+ year old coin in my pocket, and for the price I paid, I don't really worry about touching it or losing it. Feels strange to hold such an old coin in my fingers smile.gif Just think...when this coin was minted, the event happening in my sig image had only happened 5 years previous. The battle of the Enterprize vs. the Tripoli was more recent to the first person who spent the half penny than 9/11 was for us today!

The balboa caught my eye and I decided to pick it up since I liked the design of the conquistador (Balboa). Those guys were snappy dressers 27_laughing.gif

Thoughts?

1809647-1806-Great-Britain-Half-Pen.jpg

1805548-Panama-Balboa.jpg

1809647-1806-Great-Britain-Half-Pen.jpg.acfcc9bc1bdaed23f31314fa4a264089.jpg

Very Nice Balboa, it has more "character" than one that I own. Nice find and not a bad bonus coin that came with it.

Rey

I've never been one to carry a pocket piece, but I just got this 1806 Great Britain half penny today as a bonus with the 1947 Panamanian Balboa I just bought.

Both were sort of spur-of-the-moment buys, but I got the Balboa for $11 shipped and the seller threw in the ha'penny at my request. I'm not exactly sure how the seller was able to tell it was an 1806, as I can barely make out a six if I squint funny and imagine hard

1809647-1806-Great-Britain-Half-Pen.jpg

hi Michel

The seller got the 1/2 penny wrong if you can see a 6 at the end it is a 1776 of george III {231 years old} George III did not mint any for that year so it would be classed as an evasion/bungtown coin thumbsup2.gif so a nice find and probably worth more than the Balboa 27_laughing.gifgossip.gif the last 1776 i sold on ebay went for £112 $224 to some one in the USA 893whatthe.gif it was in "nicer" condition but still a nice find..

this is the 1806 1/2 penny as you can see its totaly difrent (soho mint)

1809946-1806.jpg

hi.gif

1809946-1806.jpg.d1cd2260ee2f70b824331c5b1a510852.jpg

If what Dooley is saying is correct on that coin you have, congratulations for sure, very nice "bonus" I would say.

Rey

Well, it certainly doesn't look like the portrait of George III on the obverse looks like the one on the real 1806 coin. It's probably obvious, but I don't know the first thing about these British coins - I'm interested in them, but I haven't done any real research.

Looking at my coin, it seems like the date was beneath Britannia. It's worn 99% off, so I'm not at all certain what the date is. I honestly can't figure out what the date originally read. Sometimes I think the second number is an "8", sometimes, I think the middle two are '"77" - honestly I have no clue, but just judging from a 5 second search on eBay, the design looks somewhat like the one in this auction.

I'd welcome any and all thoughts y'all have to help me narrow down what I've got here.

Well, it certainly doesn't look like the portrait of George III on the obverse looks like the one on the real 1806 coin. It's probably obvious, but I don't know the first thing about these British coins - I'm interested in them, but I haven't done any real research.

Looking at my coin, it seems like the date was beneath Britannia. It's worn 99% off, so I'm not at all certain what the date is. I honestly can't figure out what the date originally read. Sometimes I think the second number is an "8", sometimes, I think the middle two are '"77" - honestly I have no clue, but just judging from a 5 second search on eBay, the design looks somewhat like the one in this auction.

I'd welcome any and all thoughts y'all have to help me narrow down what I've got here.

this coin looks like a Obv. 1 Rev. 1 George III and if its a "real" coin and not an evasion they were only minted in 1770, 1771, 1772, 1773 if it is a Obv. 2 Rev. 1 then the only coins minted were 1774 and 1775.. but the x of REX is a bit close to the bust so it could well be a contempary forgery .. hope this is of some help to you

hi.gif