• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What US Coin Should I Buy for My Birthday?

17 posts in this topic

My birthday is coming up next Monday (May 14), and I'm trying to decide what coin - or possibly coins - I should buy. I want it/them to be something "special." For example, last year I bought my first half cent - an 1834 F-12 - and my second 2-cent - an 1869 VF-20.

So, I'm not looking to spend over $100 (well, I'd like to, but I can't). I'd love to get gold, but nothing worth buying is buyable for $100. Nor could I get a decent 1921 Peace dollar, which was something else I was thinking about. I'm thinking I might bid on a silver trime, but I don't have an account on Heritage and don't really know how those auctions work, but I could always check on Teletrade. I mention online auctions, but I'm going to take a look at the stock at my local dealer down the road tomorrow when I go get a low-MS 1922 Peace for my type set and see if anything strikes my fancy.

So if you're still with me after this rambling, what would you suggest for a nice coin that's not really listed in my signature that you think would be an interesting addition to a collection. Note that most of my collection is 20th century and so I don't consider those as too "interesting" for this sake ... though perhaps a nice Walker since I don't have one except a 1945 D VF-20 one and it really is quite a nice design.

Yeah, so anyway, I'm open to suggestions!! popcorn.gif

You could get a MS69 Early Release $5 for about $90

A nice crusty Capped Bust Half in about VF

Heritage is easy... I've been buying a coin from them about every two weeks lately, and they're a class act. It can get confusing sometimes, though.

Good luck, and happy birthday! thumbsup2.gif

You could get a MS69 Early Release $5 for about $90

I'm not big on the whole "early release" stuff and I already bought my 1/4 oz gold eagle for the year from the Mint.

A nice crusty Capped Bust Half in about VF

That's an idea. I'll keep that in mind when I go to the shop tomorrow to look at the stock to get more ideas (but I'm holding off until the following week to buy the birthday coin since he gave me a discount last year when I said it was for my b-day).

There was a New Jersey copper for sale on the PCGS boards a few weeks ago for under $100. I'm sure you could if you looked. The NJ was PCGS G6. Braddick bought it.

You could probably get a pretty nice Liberty nickel in MS for around $100 or a nice seated quarter in XF or maybe higher.

I was looking for a CBH at the $100 range, but I decided I wanted more detail than my money would buy and shifted the CBH to the back burner. I'll wait and get a nicer one at a later date. Now I'm focusing on finishing a 20th/21st century type set and then moving into the 19th century again. I'm also detecting in myself a disturbing interest in 19th century british coins, but I'm too thinly spread as it is.

Here's an idea: what kind of copper can you get for that kind of money? Maybe a real beaut of an MS IHP? That might also buy you the prettiest LSQ you ever saw. Shield nickel? When I have a set amount I can spend, I sometimes ask the dealer to show me the prettiest coin in the place in that price range.

From The Numismatist's Sarcastic Companion:

"You should treat yourself well on your birthday. The choice of coin to buy should be governed only by how good it makes you feel. One of the best gifts is gold - not just any gold but 18th Century gold half eagles of the small eagle design. Select a nice Au-58 or MS-64 piece for your collection. This will likely cost a little more than you have in your wallet, so go to your local bank with the title and mortgage papers for your home. Take out a $300,000 line of credit against the equity. Be sure to put the payment book in your wife's name, but don't tell her - she probably loves surprises. If the bank can’t handle the credit line, simply sell the house to the first real estate agent you encounter. They can be found on most street corners and lurking in coffee shops hoping for a listing.

"You'll enjoy the coin in peace and quiet for many years to come."

i would pick a really cool and historical state colonial currency OR continental currency note from the year 1776

you can certainly get one of under 100 dollars and a really niced one to boot vf possibly better

Wow, thanks for the replies so far! Before I respond specifically, I want to say that I appreciate everyone's suggestion(s). But, I'm not looking for colonial / Articles of Confederation state-issues / pre-1792 coins.

Michael - Both of those are interesting ideas, as my Liberty Nickels are Vs on one side and a silhouette on the other. I have no seated coinage except for a bent half dime that I bought over 10 years ago for a few bucks, so that would also make an interesting addition.

JKK - That's also an interesting idea. I'll have to make sure it's when there aren't other customers around, though. I'm not too much into the Indian Head cents, but my one shield is very well-worn. I'm not certain I could get a good Liberty Standing Quarter where "good" I mean MS with a full head, though perhaps one of the later dates I could.

I'm actually surprised no one's said to go for the Walking Liberty Half Dollar, since I've gotten the impression that it's a favorite by many.

I'm actually surprised no one's said to go for the Walking Liberty Half Dollar, since I've gotten the impression that it's a favorite by many.

I think the Walker is such a popular favourite, like a Saint (which of course is well out of the range you specified), that it seemed like too obvious a suggestion--perhaps everyone assumed you'd already touched that base to your satisfaction. I know that what attracts me in a coin shop is the sight of an AU/MS in a coin I have mostly seen badly worn, or that I haven't seen many of at all.

You might see about a Trade Dollar, if you can find one for that price (perhaps not). But if it were me, I'd rather buy a mighty pretty smaller denomination than an ugly big one. Just my bent. One good method would be to peruse the PCGS coin guide for the coins you like, and see what the going rates are for varying grades (realizing that those are generally considered a shade high). That would help you see what's affordable.

I spent quite a bit of time at the coin store looking for some stuff. I found a great EF trade dollar that I would've said yes to, but it had a big dent in the obverse field. So, I'm trying to decide between these three coins:

- 1867 AU 2-cent for $96.

- 1865 "gem" nickel 3-cent for $83.

- 1867 AU 5-cent no rays for $110.

They all have their advantages. The 2-cent is quite pretty and it'd be the best one in my collection. The 3-cent would be my first nickel 3-cent. And the shield nickel would be my first shield nickel in which you can actually see a design. And, it would fit in with the extended 19th century type set I'm planning on once I finish my 20th century one since I'm going for first-year of issue for each type.

Decisions decisions. And meanwhile I'm also trying to figure out what new apartment to rent ...

Alright, I went for the 2-cent. Upon magnification, the shield nickel was a little crusty for me, and the 3-cent was a weak strike (though that was common at the time, I'd like to do more research into what's available in terms of strike before I invest $100 in a 3-cent that I'm not certain about).

I'll post pictures soon!! It's a nice RB.