• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Experts - Any way to tell what year this one is?

9 posts in this topic

It would have to have been struck in the 1980-1998 time frame. The Mint was required to put the mint mark on all coins in 1980, which they did, and the 50 State Quarter program started in 1999.

This coin looks like the original relief, as opposed to the lowered relief the Mint began to use in the 1990s to try to extend the life of the dies. This lowered relief lead to what is referred to as "spaghetti hair." This coin does not have spaghetti hair. I believe that 1995 was the first year for the lower relief (sorry... I'm in my office and not near my references). If that is the case, then the coin was minted between 1980 and 1994.

This is a nice cud! It looks like the die broke on the date and in the striking the metal filled that space and did not touch to reverse die. Really cool!!

Scott hi.gif

The US Mint has repeatedly lowered the general obverse and reverse relief on the WQ many times, especially since 1974, but has often strengthened individual features at the same time. I agree that this coin was before the most obvious spaghettification, but it likely was not from 1983 or 1984 since in those years the date typically merges with the rim.

The small P mintmark would mean it's dated between 1980-1984.

Agree if that's the small mint mark, which it appears to be. And with TomB's post, that narrows it down to 1980, 1981 or 1982. smile.gif

I don't think you can eliminate 1983 because of Tom's comment. I checked my pocket change real quick to see if I had any of the 1980 - 84 coins on me and the only one I had was the 83, and its date was WELL separated from the rim. So he may be right that it typically merges with the rim, but it also comes well away from the rim.