• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logan Collection

29 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I just received B&M's catalog for the Russell Logan Collection. Wahoo! I just wish I had time to read it. Perhaps this weekend.

David,

You really should make every effort to view the Logan lots. There ought to be lots of extremely rare pieces all lined up in such a way so as to be able to determine emission sequences and remarriages.

This is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Plus, you get to see many (or, most) of the plate coins for the half dime and dime books.

Do me a favor and read Dr. McCloskey's tribute to Logan in the latest issue of the JRJ. Logan was an engineer, and devised some pretty creative attribution techniques. As a researcher, I think you'll find the reading interesting. (As a human being, you may find the tribute interesting as well.)

Regards,

EVP

I just got through perusing the Logan Collection online and the gold listings are enough to make me cry for lack of funds. There is a tremendous listing of gold coins, particularly earlier issues. Have fun looking. tongue.gif

With all this talk, I'm going to have to find an excuse to slack off this afternoon and go over to Bowers website and take a gander at the lots.

Pleazzzzzze, when did you ever need an excuse to slack off????????????? grin.gif

And they don't get grouchy when you spend 75 percent of your work day reading and posting on this forum, the other forum, and who knows how many other forums? wink.gif

Man that catalog is hefty! Looks more like an ANA sale than Baltimore. There are coins in this sale that you just don't see on a bourse floor. Like lot #303 or #2327 shocked.gif

EVP,

I won't get to see the Logan coins before they're sold, but I'm certain to have many of them come across my desk in the following weeks. I just had a nice run of Queller half dollars for attribution earlier today. These were lovely coins, far above the quality of the typical bust coins that I see on a daily basis. smile.gif

David,

I envy you that you get the opprotunity to see so much neat stuff. But, I'm not just talking about each individual coin. I'm talking about the opportunity to see the entire run of varieties to see how Logan, et al, were able to ascertain emission sequences.

That is something you cannot see from looking at individual specimens as they pass through your hands!

As usual, the catalogers at Bowers and Merena galleries have done a superb job in making the volume research-quality. Perhaps just using this book (as well as the actual LM, etc., books) would be sufficient!

EVP

PS I'll see if I can send some Logan coins your way! smile.gif

EVP- I know what you mean. Did you happen to notice lots #2112 thru 2119? I have never seen an emission sequence involving edge cuds. If it wasn't for these damn holders I'd go back and examine my coins a little closer. smile.gif

That is a nice bunch of coins!

I was drawn to that Continental Dollar and many of the colonial coins. I like the motto "Mind Your Business". I finally get where the chain on the chain cent came from. Each link represents a state and there is strength in linking them.

I need to buy something so I can keep the catalogues coming!

I got home to find that my postman shoved the catalog into my box. Consider that my apartment box is about 6" tall and 6" wide. Now consider that huge catalog squeezed in that space.

I had to pry at the box for 10 minutes to get it out. insufficiently_thoughtful_person!!!

Great catalog though.

You know, this is one of those sales where I'm going to have to dip into some personal finances for. Some really interesting material. I'm going to go over this catalog over the weekend and see which coins I MUST bid on. smile.gif

Emission sequence is the order in which series of die marriages were used. For example, suppose we have 26 die marriages from 20 obv and 15 rev dies, and they're enumerated as DMa --> DMz.

What is the correct chronological order in which these DMs were used?

Perhaps it is: DMa, DMc, DMb, ..., DMq, DMz, DMy.

A remarriage is if a certain DM was used, set aside, another DM used, and then the earlier DM used again.

E.g., ..., DMo, DMp, DMo, DMq, ...

EVP

A die marriage is any pairing of an obv die with a rev die. Most people speakof die marriages without considering die state. Logan studied die states as well.

(Die state is the state of use of a particular die. E.g., the die could have several states, ranging from perfect to slightly cracked to rusting to newly re-lapped or polished to total failure.)

EVP

I'm hoping that the Queller and Logan sales will prompt more of our customers to request variety attributions when submitting coins to NGC. We have a very sophisticated variety program, as you'll see from our Census Report. It's surprising how many nice bust coins come through here without being attributed, because the submitters simply don't realize the value of variety attribution.

I saw a gem Flowing Hair Dollar earlier today that was not attributed. It was one of the better varieties, not rare overall but certainly rare in MS-65. I would have loved to slap a BB number on that baby, but I can't do it if the customer doesn't ask for it. frown.gif

Not a stupid question at all. This information is included in all our published literature, though I don't believe it appears on our website. For the record, NGC recognizes the following variety categories:

Half cents by Cohen numbers

Large cents by Sheldon (1793-1814) and Newcomb (1816-57) numbers

Half dimes (1794-1837) by Logan-McCloskey numbers

Dimes (1796-1837) by John Reich numbers

Quarter dollars (1796-1838) by Browning numbers

Half dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers

Silver dollars (1794-1804) by Bowers-Borckardt numbers

Silver dollars (1878-1935) by VAM numbers (8TF, 7/8TF, TOP-100 and HOT-50 varieties only)

All varieties in the Red Book and the Cherrypickers' Guide

NGC doesn't do Breen numbers and doesn't do any varieties that don't fall into one of the above categories. There's a $5 charge for variety attributions at the time of grading. Coins already holdered by NGC can receive an attribution for $10, which includes the cost of reholdering.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

David,

If I pick up some LM or JR plate coins, can I have them labelled as such? Also, will NGC also pedigree ex-Logan coins?

He'll easily be remembered in numismatic lore as important as the likes of Haseltine, Bolender, Beistle, etc.

EVP

We can label the plate coins as such. You'll see some listings for "Wright Plate" in the middle date large cent census, also "Miller Plate" for one of the proof Morgans. I imagine we'll also include the Logan pedigree, if the coin is submitted in the auction flip.