• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this Grade assessment is accurate - 1857 Flying Eagle

13 posts in this topic

Couple of other oddities is the reeding on the bottom of the obverse looks like to have never been there and not WORN off.

The 7 has a few little bumps on its top giving it almost a overdate look but cannot figure what it would be ... Pics shortly

I bought this for "G" money do it will come out of the holder as I thought it a little high on grade also ...

1771075-flying2.jpg

1771075-flying2.jpg.3dc97a73ffecb26a6a808bcab2aebeb9.jpg

Looks like a F-15 or VF 20 coin to me.

For reference, ANACS graded this XF 45, not that the pics are perfect but...

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

A nice honest original looking coin. smile.gif

Obverse VF-20 Reverse F-12 from the image.

I'm thinking the top of the 7 is normal and the lack of reeding is a strike issue. At a good price you did well. smile.gif

Nice looking FEC for the grade, which I feel is a Fine, and the price on the 2x2 should be $45 with the seller willing the deal from there.

For good money you did real well Mike. thumbsup2.gif

I think the ANACs coin is accurately graded from what I can see. Your coin looks in the F 12 range to me, though the fact that the protected areas are noticeably darker as a matter of first impression indicates that the coin probably has been cleaned at some point.

There's a good reason you got the coin for 'good' money. Unless you're dealing with someone who is ignorant, there are rarely any bargains in numismatics.

F-12 from me. I'm curious where someone got XF-45 for it. But if you paid G-4 money for it, you did very well.