• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often does this happen?

15 posts in this topic

A couple weeks ago, I was browsing through a local antique "junk" shop, and I saw this Lincoln cent. Yes, it has some corrosion problems, but for $5 I thought it was interesting. I didn't have any bills smaller than a $50, and the proprietor couldn't make change. So, he told me to take it and bring him the $5 the next time I was in the area. This was the first time I had ever been in this store, and he didn't know me from Adam. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

Next question: Is there anything I can do to help this coin?

1767910-IMG_1545.JPG1767910-IMG_1546.JPG

Chris

1767910-IMG_1546.JPG.7fd43018ab79a8141d71da5c18b8d598.JPG

One begs to ask the question "Why Bother?"

Am I missing something here smile.gif

or is the TONE yer gandering at ... yeahok.gif

Lots of glare or just out of focus. Try for a better photo. Try taking it outdoors in bright light but not in direct sunlight. Also, what did you expect to do with that coin? Leave as is. Don't forget to go pay for it. I can't even imagine a store around me telling me to pay the next time. If I mentioned something like that in a store they would be laughing for days.

I do that in my store all the time. The amazing part is, 100 % of the time people come back and pay me. Even if they didn't, for 5 or 10 dollars, it wouldn't change what I'm having for dinner.

Paul

Lots of glare or just out of focus. Try for a better photo. Try taking it outdoors in bright light but not in direct sunlight. Also, what did you expect to do with that coin? Leave as is. Don't forget to go pay for it. I can't even imagine a store around me telling me to pay the next time. If I mentioned something like that in a store they would be laughing for days.

I haven't had much practice taking photos of copper. Is this any better? I'm just going to include it with my other oddball conversation pieces. Are you saying there is no "cure" for its malady? Oh, I paid for it the same afternoon. I left my car in the parking lot and walked across the street to a restaurant for change.

1767944-IMG_1547.JPG1767944-IMG_1548.JPG

Chris

1767944-IMG_1548.JPG.7765f6147828ef190c4b374f143d65ed.JPG

I haven't had much practice taking photos of copper. Is this any better? Are you saying there is no "cure" for it's malady? Oh, I paid for it the same afternoon. I left my car in the parking lot and walked across the street to a restaurant for change.

Hmm looks like the creeping crud to me ... I thought GREEN in this manner is BAAAAADDD ... just what I heard

Why bother?.........Why bother, you ask!

I don't know. I just felt like it!

Chris hi.gif

Why bother?.........Why bother, you ask!

I don't know. I just felt like it!

Chris hi.gif

hahahah You kill me smile.gif

I haven't had much practice taking photos of copper. Is this any better? Are you saying there is no "cure" for it's malady? Oh, I paid for it the same afternoon. I left my car in the parking lot and walked across the street to a restaurant for change.

Hmm looks like the creeping crud to me ... I thought GREEN in this manner is BAAAAADDD ... just what I heard

I think so, too, but I was hoping there would be a way to remove it.

Chris

I think it's a pretty neat off-strike lincoln. The corrosion will probably be a problem further down the road, but hey, you liked it, that's all that matters. I have some of these little stores do the same with me before. I've never found coins in one, but just on an item here and there.

A couple weeks ago, I was browsing through a local antique "junk" shop, and I saw this Lincoln cent. Yes, it has some corrosion problems, but for $5 I thought it was interesting. I didn't have any bills smaller than a $50, and the proprietor couldn't make change. So, he told me to take it and bring him the $5 the next time I was in the area. This was the first time I had ever been in this store, and he didn't know me from Adam. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

Next question: Is there anything I can do to help this coin?

Chris

Chris

I'd suggest NCS - Those are copper plated zinc planchets and most likely if you try anything, it will do bad things to that coin tonofbricks.gif - Not sure what the value of an error coin like that is, but if it has any significant value, then NCS is the place to go.

Thanks, Ron! I was wondering, too, if it would be worth it to send to NCS. I still have that 1876 Centennial Award Medal that David Lange suggested that I submit to NCS. I may send them together.

Chris

PS. You never did answer my question about the "Tid-E-Bowl" story. I think I asked you on one of your "Toned" threads.

I wouldn't bother sending it to NCS, it's not really worth it. While it is cool that the date is still on it, off center lincolns are fairly common. Five dollars is a fair price for that piece. I got my 90% off center lincoln (no date) for $6 at FUN last year. The guy had a whole bucket full of them.