• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's have an outing party!

67 posts in this topic

I would like to OUT myself for a very poor transaction with jgrinz on eBay which he was a Star about thumbsup2.gif

If your gonna tell a story tell a complete story smile.gif

Dooley won an auction and was very PROMPT in pseudo paying me ... HOWEVER ... he did not realize that a PAYPAL Echeck from the UK takes 10-14 days to clear. He must have transferred money into his PAYPAL account when I told him this. 7 days later he sent me a cash transfer to pay for the item. The check cleared and I had loads of DOOLEYS money smile.gif .. 25 bucks or so smile.gif ... I refunded the Echeck so he has a paypal balance and sent him his coin the same day ...

All in all a very trustworthy experience with Mr Dooley.

I have bought coins from board members; james_earlyus, TomB, gmarguli and Leothelion. All were smooth transactions with nice coins at reasonable prices. I would not hestitate to do business with any of these people again.

The only member (as far as I know) that I have bought from is Chinook. Hopefully I'll get the chance to do so again.

I have had some great dialog with several others that I wouldn't hesitate to do business with. The fact is I have had nothing but positive experiences since my stay here.

As the result of that, I seem to be spending more and more time here. One of these days I know my wife is going to bust me. But so far I have been able to do this and complete my chores too.

I do want to take this time to thank everyone for making this a great experience and making this forum a great place to hang out and share. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My positive list is long, simply everyone I've ever dealt with here and over there have gone off without a hitch.

Short list of negatives, just a few nuckleheads over on eBay, but no one anyone here would probably know.

It's implied that you should take our comments with a large grain of salt.

Precisely. But you mistakenly think that everyone is just as perceptive as you are. (How's that for a backhanded compliment?) My chief concern is with a "general 'good' list" that has a clubby, exclusive quality.

A bulk of my type collection has come from Mark Feld and michael. I've also obtained quite a few coins from Lee Gast. Coinman1794 provided many of the moderns. I got my gorgeous 1794 large cent from Hoot, an awesome no rays nickel from Lou, IGWT. In addition, I got a nice peace dollar from Carl Wohlforth, a couple of nice types from Pinnacle rarities and two irreplaceable type coins from TomB. This list is by no means all inclusive but every single transaction was pleasant and professional as well as educational about the coin I was buying. As already mentioned, just because a name was not mentioned does not cast a negative shadow on any individual. My dealings with board members have been 99% pleasant. I, in turn, provide prompt payment or return. This is only right and proper.

I would encourage everyone else to do the same. Have respect for yourself and for others. thumbsup2.gif

My chief concern is with a "general 'good' list" that has a clubby, exclusive quality.

I thought we were some sort of a group, coin club, something confused-smiley-013.gif I can understand your concern about having a “good guy” list and that’s why I didn’t list specific individuals. That said, I also understand noting transactions gone wrong to other board members.

I agree with Lou and Mike. I think it is a bad idea. It makes me think of the Salem witch trials. I can only see this turning into exactly that, nasty witch hunts, which is something we really don't need because it only serves as an unwanted distraction. If anyone wants to take up the witch hunt, then I suggest you establish your own website for that purpose and leave NGC and the Collectors' Society out of it.

I don't need anyone to reaffirm my honesty or integrity. I know who and what I am and those of you who have dealt with me should also know. You don't have to say anything either. You can tell who the good people are around here without having to ask. They are the ones eager to help others without even thinking of what is in it for them. I don't have to identify these individuals because they all have their own "inner peace" with the world.

Chris

There are all good points here. Don't wanna paint a black flag on others, but is nice to recognize the good guys tho'. It's like a small pat on the back saying, "Thanks for being trustworthy". I haven't really seen anything written yet that is running anyone out of the forum. Most of us seem to have respect, and are mature enough to know what to say and what not to say.

this has actually been an interesting post.

We all know history...well....to some extent....

The Nazi's did it

Mc Carthy did it

There are loads of people who have created lists that ended up destroying people who didn't even fulfill the 'official' criteriae for being on 'the list'...and those lists didn't need to be anyway!

If anyone doesn't know history well enough to understand what I am talking about, feel free to PM me, and we can have a conversation about it.

The post is interesting because there is no intent of malice, but the opinions vary and differ strongly...thus the strength of DEMOCRACY

1748670-1791WashingtonSmallEagleobverse.jpg

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Francis Scott Key

That's a beautiful poem. I didn't know that it was originally a poem, until someone mentioned it here a few days ago. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing it Mike!

Mike, you know I have great respect for you but I do differ with you on the list point. The Nazi list and McCarthy list were lists of (falsely) presumed problematic people. I think Victor was trying to create a list of people whose actions made them problematic. I see a significant difference there and one that I am comfortable with.

Mike, you know I have great respect for you but I do differ with you on the list point. The Nazi list and McCarthy list were lists of (falsely) presumed problematic people. I think Victor was trying to create a list of people whose actions made them problematic. I see a significant difference there and one that I am comfortable with.

That sums it up very well.

Yet, I think that I was wrong in starting this thread. There were only two instances in my mind that spurred me into it. Well, three if you include my own negative experience that I recently posted about.

So, I extend my apologies to anyone who was offended by this (except to the guilty parties, of course). Thanks for your indulgence. sorry.gif

did you like the poem at least? wink.gif

Yes it’s a fine poem. This may surprise you but I actually have a poetry book that I have been dragging around with me since college. It’s a collection by Yeats. I refer to it from time to time. I actually quoted “Brown Penny” in a love letter to my then girlfriend who became my fiancé and is now my wife…

The Nazi's did it

Mc Carthy did it

There are loads of people who have created lists that ended up destroying people who didn't even fulfill the 'official' criteriae for being on 'the list'...and those lists didn't need to be anyway!

Is nobody else as offended as I am by someone comparing a stupid list of good and bad coin sellers to the actions of an army of evil, genocidal maniacs? Or for that matter, even comparing the McCarthy era red scare to the mass-murdering actions of the Nazis? That's perhaps the most overblown, insulting, pathetic analogy I've ever read in my life. You have the gall to compare murderers of millions to a few coin collectors comparing notes on who screwed them over selling them a *spoon* coin. That's insulting in the extreme to those who were massacred by those bastards.

You offend me, MikeKing. If I had a gauntlet, I'd slap you across the face with it.

is that a threat?

edited to add:

That's insulting in the extreme to those who were massacred by those bastards.

I think they would understand the analogy and appreciate the sensitivity.

Mike, Mike is a good guy. Aren't you being a little harsh? Heck, he might even be your daddy since you both have the same name. crazy.gif Remember the fifth commandment. makepoint.gif

Your comment to me was hostile. Your anger got the best of you, and the name-calling is also inappropriate. If you disagree with me, that's fine, just don't be hostile and abusive because of it.

That's a beautiful poem. I didn't know that it was originally a poem, until someone mentioned it here a few days ago. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing it Mike!

And you know that the poem was set to the tune of an old British drinking song, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

parrot22qz5.jpg

Good morning all smile.gif

Good morning, Stanley, and "Happy Birthday" to you, Arch!

"Some people claim there's a woman to blame.........." and they're sooooooooooooooooo right!

Chris

Your comment to me was hostile. Your anger got the best of you, and the name-calling is also inappropriate. If you disagree with me, that's fine, just don't be hostile and abusive because of it.

Agree with MikeKing. No need to be hostile and abusive towards him. That’s my job devil.gif

I'm frankly pretty pissed off at the moment

As seems to be the norm around here with you lately... Maybe you need a break from the forums for a little while. Take a vacation. Or a really long nap.

The Nazi's did it

Mc Carthy did it

Is nobody else as offended as I am by someone comparing a stupid list of good and bad coin sellers to the actions of an army of evil, genocidal maniacs? Or for that matter, even comparing the McCarthy era red scare to the mass-murdering actions of the Nazis? That's perhaps the most overblown, insulting, pathetic analogy I've ever read in my life. You have the gall to compare murderers of millions to a few coin collectors comparing notes on who screwed them over selling them a *spoon* coin. That's insulting in the extreme to those who were massacred by those bastards.

You offend me, MikeKing. If I had a gauntlet, I'd slap you across the face with it.

No one has compared murders with coin sellers (except you). Mike was just pointing out historically what can happen if you get your name on (or off) The List.