• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange thing just happened - A Coins History -

12 posts in this topic

Have you ever wondered where a coin that you own has been and through whos hands it passed ??? This was a real domino effect and the result is a finding of a coin I own that got sold through Heritage Auctions at the 2000 FUN show.

I was looking for a NEW Icon for the PCGS upload day and did searching on the internet for 1883 Proof Trade Dollar ... I happened upon the CoinFacts site listing the top DOLLAR trade dollars sold ...

Coinfacts Trade Dollars Page

Where I noticed this :

"PCGS Proof-65. Ex- Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc.'s "October 2000 Long Beach Sale" October 5-7, 2000, Lot 8163, illustrated, sold for $7,590.00 From the Glenn J. Church Collection"

I had heard that there were a ton of Trade Dollars auctioned on this date 10/06/2000 ( My Birthday by the way - wrong year though frown.gif ) and a lot of them came from Mr Church's Collection. The auction page says January 01 would the coin have been put on lay away for that long ... ?? dunno

I started looking over the multitudes of Trade dollars for that weekend and found this ...

1883 Trade Dollar - NGC Proof 65

This is MY coin ladies and gents ... It is now in a 1883 Proof 65 Cameo holder

It has a brush mark right BELOW the hand which makes this a little unique and kept it from being in a 66 holder frown.gif

I purchased this from Anaconda as a PROOF 65 and had it reviewed by NGC and got the cameo designation ..

I hope to find out where they got it from as I don't think they would sit on the coin for that long.

Stayed tune I will let you know if I find more out yay.gif

Heritage had a GOOD photo guy back then ..

1748409-6.jpg

1748409-5.jpg

1748409-6.jpg.cbf12e90b3b0ce52d3fe28c3593432c3.jpg

PM to me : REALONE

Thanks Al you could have posted this - I am sure the response you are talking about must have been ATS - Thank you very much for your comments and it is appreciated.

Mike

First off hello we have never spoken before.

Second great trade dollar, and cool toning.

Third, I too love a coins history, who owned it, where has it been, when has it traded and how much, the different sellers' photos etc. I try to get this info on all my coins and I have for the most part. Interestingly enough in the past when I posted that I find this stuff interesting I got a lot of negative feedback from different members so it was cool to hear that you enjoy this stuff too, thanks for sharing your researched history,

Al

An Older picture of mine trying to capture the coins essence

Cameos are better on mine but ... You can see the tell tale scratches keeping this beauty from a 66

1612593-trade%24.jpg

Absolutely lovely piece. thumbsup2.gif Greatly fun to have tracked your coin by means of the internet. Fun!

Hoot

Sadness Sorrow ...

Just talked with Julian at ANACONDA .. they had a records loss from a Computer melt down - Purchase and sales history is lost from them on this coin. They purchase so many coins he could not remember where HE got it ... bummer ...

So I have a gaping hole between 2000 and 2005 on its history .. frown.gif