• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Related Math Problem - Some Friday Fun

11 posts in this topic

These 3 coin guys go to a hotel for a coin show and they just get one room (so as to save on expenses). When they check in the manager is on break while the bellman covers the front desk. The bellman charges them $30 for the room, so each Numismatist hands over 10 new gold dollars. The guys head up to their room to fight over who got the bed, couch, and floor.

When the manager comes back from break and gets the news from the bellman; he realizes that the bellman overcharged as the room charge should have only been $25. So the manager gives the bellman 5 of gold dollars (all have lettering ) and tells the bellman to go give the money back to the guests.

On the way to the room the bellman realizes that he can't split the $5 equally among the 3 guests so he devises a plan.

Once at the room the bellman explains that he overcharged for the room. He gave each guy 1 gold dollar back and secretly kept the 2 extra for himself.

So each coin dude originally paid 10 gold dollars and then later got one gold dollar back making their room cost $9 gold dollars each.

If each coin dude paid $9 gold dollars they paid $9 x 3 = $27 gold dollars for the room and the Bellman secretly kept the other $2 dollars making a total of $29 gold dollars.

Where did the other gold dollar go?

I know its old but still fun....

The $25 george dollars split 3 ways for the room =$8 makepoint.gif.33 1/3 cents ea. popcorn.gif893applaud-thumb.gif 3 x .33 1/3=$1 foreheadslap.gif $5 means 3 returned coins guys and 2 for the bellhop. = $25 +$5=$30 shy.gif

you are on the right track but the men paid more than just the $25 didn't they. They did pay $9 each or a total of $27.

Okay:

The three men payed $30. They were returned three.

$30-$3= $27

A total of $27 was payed. $25 to management and $2 to the bellhop.

Am I right?

Brain Ticklers with math...remember you cannot subtract from what you never had. The number returned (3) and kept (2) must be added to what in therory (25) they should have paid to begin with.

25 + 3 + 2 = 30

I was just lurking...but...they paid $28 for the room, $25 plus 3=$28, leaving 2?

and if I am wrong, I'm calling my daughter the math teacher, lol

The problem here in this problem is in assuming that what the men paid plus what the bellboy kept should equal $30.

First, obviously, nothing is missing. The guys pay $10/each, for a total of $30.

They get $5 refunded, $1 each plus a $2 "tip" to the bellboy, and there's $25 in the register. There's your $30. And the men have each really actually paid $9 for the room, for a "total" of $27. Plus the bellboy's $2, for a total of $29. And it's OK!

Now, let's say it was half price night, and the manager actually refunded $15 to the men. This time, the bellboy is a bit greedy, and still gives each man a dollar while keeping $12 for himself. Again, each man pays $9 for the room...$27. Plus the bellboy's $12 equals...ummm...$39.

What if it was free night, and that greedy bellboy still decided to refund only $1 per person, keeping the rest? That makes $27 plus $27...$54. They're all the same problem.

And the same fallacy in each is thinking that their actual payment plus the "tip" should equal the original price of the room. You can see that's not true.

The real equation here is that their actual outlay of cash, minus the tip they paid (whether they know it or not), equals the actual room price. Rearranging the equation, the bill + tip = total expenses.

Hope this helped grin.gif