• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just passed the halfway point........

6 posts in this topic

Putting together an 1853 Circulated Set allows you to experience quite a broad range of numismatic challenges. Believe it or not this set (excluding California gold) if done complete (likely impossible) would include 30 coins ! I have just reached 16 of the 30.

You get to experience everything from readily available low cost to acquire pieces such as the Large Cent (6,641,131 minted); the A/R Quarter (Philidelphia 15,210,020 minted); and the Arrows at Date Dime (Philidelphia 12,078,010 minted); the 3 Cent Silver (Trime) (11,400,000) and the Gold pieces from the Philidelphia Mint.

You also get to experience the somewhat more challenging pieces such as the Half Cent (129,694 minted); the No Arrows Half Dimes (P-135,000 / O-160,000); the New Orleans Gold pieces; the No Arrow Dime ( 95,000 minted); the No Arrows Quarter (44,200 minted) and the Silver Dollar ( 46,110 minted).

Up a notch from there and significantly up the expense is the "C" and "D" Gold Pieces in $1, $2 1/2, and $ 5.

At the very top and making the set likely impossible to complete is the No Arrows Half Dollar. What is interesting is that there were actually none of these reported minted (Philidelphia Mint) although there are 3 known to exist.

For me the effort of trying to put together this set IS what coin collecting is all about. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks.

At the very top and making the set likely impossible to complete is the No Arrows Half Dollar. What is interesting is that there were actually none of these reported minted (Philidelphia Mint) although there are 3 known to exist.

Are you going to try to acquire one of the three?

takeit.gif soon as I can find an extra $500,000 laying around wink.gif

takeit.gif soon as I can find an extra $500,000 laying around wink.gif

Good luck! halfway on such a set is quite an accomplishment.

Awesome work!

Congratulations on passing the halfway mark! 893applaud-thumb.gif Oftentimes in collecting the journey is more than half the fun.