• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1805 Draped Bust Dime 4 Berries

37 posts in this topic

registered mail in one of those sticky cardboard mailers inside of a large heavy envelope

this really is sickening big time...........

mad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

mad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifmad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifmad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifmad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

Here's an image of the envelope it came in. It was also send in the ridged, cardboard mailer. Obviously, lots of pressure was applied to the package which cracked the slab. Maybe the apes at the post office were sitting on it?

confused-smiley-013.gif

1709440-1805DrapedBustDime013.jpg

1709440-1805DrapedBustDime013.jpg.2bded4ca30b754cb7f8f99cb4b50d5e9.jpg

"Beautiful" coin!!! cloud9.gif Perfect opportunity to send it in for a regrade wich will put it in a new holder. Who knows, you make get lucky. wink.gif I've had this happen to me and to a coin sent to a collector. mad.gif Never with registered though.

When I picked the coin up at the front office, I immediately opened it and showed it to the elderly lady working. The first thing she asked me is if I was going to polish it up nice and shiny like.

foreheadslap.gif

It's a wonder that there are any choice, original coins intact at all given this typical, non-collector attitude.

That is a very attractive piece of an undervalued series. Nice score! thumbsup2.gif

Yes sir! This is a TomB coin, no doubt about it. thumbsup2.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

F-15 was my guess, elsewise why would ya put it in the poll 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very nice coin. I see the guesses are all over the place so far.

Does a crack this bad prevent you from getting the coin re-holdered ?

Or, is there any other reason a TPG would reject a slab for re-holdering ?

Fergie.

Superb and undervalued coin! cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif Unfortunate that you'll have to go to the expense and time of sending it for re-holder. frown.gif I'd try to collect the costs from the Post Office, but it may be difficult, at best.

Marvelous acquisition Victor! 1/4 the mintage of the '09-S VDB at a fraction of the cost!

Hoot

Does a crack this bad prevent you from getting the coin re-holdered ?

Or, is there any other reason a TPG would reject a slab for re-holdering ?

Fergie.

There wouldn't be any problem getting the coin re-slabbed because it is obvious that the damage is not due to tampering.

This is a wonderful early type coin that I am extremely proud to own. The coin is actually dove gray to the natural eye but I can't capture that with my current camera setup.

This coin is special because it is completely problem-free! No ticks, no dings that you don't need, with beautiful original surfaces.

cloud9.gif

Dave, Tom,Mark, Mike, Lee, Coinman, et al have given their approval on this coin because they recognize the significance of this coin. Not only is it currently underappreciated but it is a magnificant example of a circulated early type coin. This is a coin that will always hold favor with me. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the input, boardsters!

Hi EZ_E, hi.gif

This is so cool, it's like hanging out in a coin shop all day !

But with so many advanced Numismatists in one spot I find it hard to keep up with all the interesting posts !

All in all, I would say that my "learning curve" just hopped on a rocket !

Being actually involved here versus just watching made the difference.

Perhaps I pay more attention now.

I have a copy of Breen, and have read the descriptions of coins avidly.

"1805 Draped Bust, Dime, Four Berries " Sounds delicious !

I can't wait to see some better pics.

When do we get the grade ?

Thanks for sharing,

Fergie.

My last coin from Heritage came in the same packaging as yours. I was very concerned when the postman handed me the envelope. Thankfully, all was well.

Heritage did not package the coin properly, they should stand for your expense to reholder.

Your 1805 is a beauty! thumbsup2.gif

I love the coin, and guessed it grades F-12. If it were mine, I'd crack it out immediately and wouldn't even consider ever degrading it with a slab ever again!! It's much too nice a coin to relegate to the drudgery of plastic!!!!!!!!!!!

I am somewhat surprised to see registered mail arrive damaged like that. Hasn't ever happened to me.

I can't wait to see some better pics.

sorry.gif

When do we get the grade ?

Well, you could always have cheated and looked in my registry set by clicking on the banner below. wink.gif

This is a PCGS F15 coin. Based upon my general numismatic knowledge and going by instinct alone without further research, I would call this coin a solid Fine.

However, those advanced numismatists who know the early series are all in one accord in their opinions that this coin grades VF20 at a minimum or even VF30 factoring in its originality and eye-appeal.

So there you have it, Fergie. thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I've been noticing some of your posts and I can tell you ain't no rookie, either. On the contrary, your an advanced and knowledgeable numismatist yourself. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I tweeked the image a little with photoshop to more accurately represent the true nature of the coin:

1710279-1805DrapedBustDime.jpg

1710279-1805DrapedBustDime.jpg.e8cfaf03a0d8df696ebdd341b8eca04b.jpg

OOps, sorry EZ_E,

i see when i made the better pics comment i was picturing the slab photo in my head. Sorry, your picture was fine.

Thanks for sharing sweetie thumbsup2.gif

Fergie.

PS, hey i almost forgot, thanks for the compliment but shhhh ! thumbsup2.gif

I voted the grade at VF20. I agree with Leeg, since you need to get it reholdered, submit it for grading instead. The postage is the big cost anyway. An extra 5 points on the PCGS holder would be nice.

Nice pickup Victor! thumbsup2.gif

I partially agree with James. If you're going to get it reholdered again eventually, why reholder it now? Crack that sucker and hold it in your fingers... feel all that history oozing out of it.

James' attitude used to be my own but now I prefer the protection of a slab.

So, I won't do anything with it for a few months yet but I'll send it in for regrading along with some other coins eventually.

Based upon knowledgeable feedback, this coin should be in a VF20 holder. I'll have PCGS do the TruView images while I'm at it. thumbsup2.gif

Why wouldn't they?

They still offer the service, just don't advertise it anymore (I have no idea why... Maybe Phil can't handle the workload?)