• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was in a discussion on Type 1 and 2 SBA's ...

4 posts in this topic

... some where on this board and I tried to correct some one about the The TYPE 1's and The Type 2's for EACH year being different.His position was that they both were the same in each year, having a blob and clear S. This is not correct as the only year having the blob S is in 1979 - Which does have the blob and clear S. However in 1981 there were TWO distinct CLEAR S's for that year making type 1 and type 2. The first type is similar if not exactly the same as the type 2 of 1979 - The type 2 of 1981 is also a clear S but its more looking the "S" on supermans outfit with distict BALLS at the ends of the -script. Small Doolars web site has a great pictoral of this issue for those that are interested.

Discussion on Type1 and Type2 SBA's

Hope this will help someone smile.gif

This stuff gets hard to put in words that all can understand.Would it be correct to say that the Type2 of 79 is the same as Type1 of 81? Past that I'm lost.

The 1979-S Type II and the 1981-S Type I share the same mint mark characteristics because they came from the very same set of mint mark die punchs. There are subtle differences on the minted coins due to application pressures when the mint marks were struck into the coin dies or even from early & late state coin dies, but the they are one in the same.

It takes a good eye to distinguish these interesting mint marks. The 1979-S is easy, the rest are a bit more challenging.