• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Registry Scores

136 posts in this topic

I wonder if I should put together a set of clad Washington quarters in avg circ grade?

I can call it the Legend-ary Collection of Circulated Washington Quarter Dollars. And, I'll have it on display at the next summer ANA show.

wink.gif

EVP

Hello all,

I see this thread has gotten off track and has had lots of contentious posts. Well, at least it got the participation up !! Whe was the last time there were this many posts on one thread??

Now, to the point: I am surprised no-one has drawn a comparison with the PCGS Registry, with its simple and beautiful scoring system. Each set gets a score based on weighted grade point average (70 points maximum possible, à la Sheldon) multiplied by percent complete (100% maximum possible), to yield a simple numerical set score. Under this system, ALL SETS have the same 70 point theoretical maximum, bounded only by the maximum grades of extant pop-top coins (example: the highest possible score for MS shield nickels is currently 66.18). So nobody can get insulted and pull their set off the Registry because it is "valued" (i.e. scored) differently from another set.

The implication of the NGC point scores is that they are somehow market-value related. This leads to the conclusion that one set is being valued as "worth more" than another. Hence Charles takes umbrage ... especially as the NGC points do NOT in fact reflect absolute or relative market value in most cases ... so Charles spent more than was reflected in his point score.

Solution: either go market value all the way, or correct each set score to a scale of 1 to 70 (or 1 to 100).

Best,

Sunnywood

Thanks, Sunnywood. You have elucidated my point exactly. It drives me speechless to see sets valued so differently when they supposidly were based on some "Value System" of relative worth. Greg got me off on his tirade of invective, but I can not make heads nor tails out of the relative value of these sets. That was my point and my only point.

Some have said that it does not matter and maybe it doesn't but my Engineer's brain seeking global order was going crazy over this. It does not matter what Franklin's cost or are worth (it really doesn't). Other sets are just as out of order as Franklin's. I am just trying to make some order out of disorder. Does that make sense? Now if I can get Greg to leave me alone, we can go back to being an informative, orderly and polite group of adults.

I guess that I win the prize for most posts in 36 hours! There are 126 replies and 526 lookie-loos. Unfortunately, half of the replies are mine. I may develop Carpal Tunnel on this site if I have to do this every day. tongue.gif

Wow I woke up this morning and had deja-vu all over again, thought I had clicked on CU. Didn't realize how important this registry thing was to some people. Second time someone has blown up and removed their sets and then gone public over it.It seems to me there is a more diplomatic way of handling things in life.

If you have good points that make sense, it seems to me that the people who manage this company listen. Why not work through the system and be a voice for change, rather than take your football and go home.

Last point, in my journey through life I found debate and differences of opinion to be mostly interesting and often educational.

What's different over here? Is everyone having fun?

It's nice to see that some good things just don't change.

One thing different -- 99% of the posts on the Coin boards relate to coins. That percent is much lower across the street.

Pat,

I still like both forums. It's getting harder across the street to pull coin facts and talk about coins. There's too much garbage that gets in the way, with some guy fighting about toning every week, PCGS practices, NGC practices, and the like.

In a few weeks, the noise will go down again, and you'll see me over there more. I still try to keep up with the Open Forum, except all of these clone threads were getting old, and the GS/Gereg fight over politics is too much right now.

GS/Gereg fight over politics is too much right now

It wasn't over politics. It was over a hypocritical forum member who spewed his lies. Politics really had nothing to do with it. However, it was getting overboard. I'd leave the forum for a few hours and GS was still going at it with himself.

Do you see these Forums turning slightly into what you dislike about the other though?

A little, but I think it will pass. Remove kincoin and a bunch or the will be gone. Ignore Mr. 49 Registry Points for a Million Dollar Franklin and a bunch more will be gone.

These forums will be fine. These little flare ups have happened in the past.

Most of what I dislike about the other forums are the newbies posting the same question over and over again and never listening to advice or looking for the answers posted previously. That and the trolls that are coddled by the admins.