• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare East africa coin ?????????? price Info reqired

7 posts in this topic

hi.gif Hi all

I have just got this coin back from NGC lacking any information on the slab

The coin in the slab is a KM# 28.2 1 Shilling whic is listed as rare with no value ?

Can any one give me some information on this coin Thanks

1692923-Eatsa.jpg

1692923-Eatsa.jpg.bed4f8722e6e1a870bb6db7f1905dd9d.jpg

I do not have the krause manual with me and I do not collect these. I do collect colonial South Africa and follow Southern Rhodesia some. Based upon what I know, South Africa has more demand than Southern Rhodesia and Southern Rhodesia more than the rest of any other African country during that period.

I have no idea what that particular coin is worth but you can compare it to what others from the series have sold for on Heritage. A 1920 Florin in fine listed as "extremenly rare" sold for $184 in 2004. I think this is a good baseline because South African coins in average circulated condition do not bring very strong prices either in these grades, even for the key dates.

By the way, is the reverse about the same as your image to the right? That coin looks much better than VF-20 to me.

Thanks for the information thumbsup2.gif

the last coin i found with no price in Krause turned out to be worth $8500 and there was only 25 ever made.. i could have put it on ebay and got £100 for it .. Sould they list a coin if they cannot value it ?

as for the other coin i won it on ebay 3 days ago just so i could check the "rare" one out for the veriations..

I have added a pic for you all the best dooly

1693281-Eatsa.jpg

1693281-Eatsa.jpg.82a5bf64edc41ed3db375cc6ac09a0dc.jpg

You have to be careful on relying on the Krause guide for pricing. I only have a 1998 copy but I believe for South Africa the pricing has not changed much if at all. Back then, the prices were probably too high but these coins have moved since then (especially ZAR) and the prices might be too low now.

Overall though, I think that the prices are too high, much too high in some cases and especially for circulated coins. You did not mention what that coin was that had a mintage of 25. But there are few world coins with a mintage that low that are actually worth that kind of money. If it is a gold coin, that makes sense. If it is from a major country (such as the UK, Canada or Australia) probably. If it is a crown sized coin, maybe. If it is a minor from anywhere other than a major country, probably not.

Hi the I have the Krause 1998 edition and this coin is not even listed in it just KM28 i also have the 2006 Krause which now lists it so they may have just found it..

KM# 28.1 is listed (2006) as (one not in the slab in my picture)

7.7759g., 02500 Silver .0625 oz ASW Ruler: George VI Obv: Bust of King George VI

Rev: Type I, Thin rim and short milling, EAST AFRICA further from edge than type II,

Larger loop on right side of coin, below diamond in ledgend. Edge reeding spaced out

Edge:reeded

Minted: (I) Bombay Mint

Date: Mintage: F VF XF UNC BU

1941 I 7,000,000 1.25 2.00 14.00 28.00 --

KM# 28.2 is listed (2006) as (one in slab in my picture)

7.7759g., 02500 Silver .0625 oz ASW Ruler: George VI Obv: Bust of King George VI

Rev: Type II, Thicker rim and Larger milling, EAST AFRICA and leaves very near the edge, smaller leaf (loop) under diamond on right side.

Edge:reeded

1941 I Rare -- -- -- -- --

Also listed is KM 28.3 for 1943 I Type III which is listed as 25-50 minted but this has a price?

1943 I 25-50 pieces 500 750 1,200 1,500 --

So what is rare less than 25 or just unknown numbers?

As for the other coin i mentioned it is a 1830 CBN C10K (B-273) copper pattern

Krause Pn 98 C#141.1 which also has no Market value listed but a "good one" has just sold in a european auction for $8,500 US

mine has been NGC graded MS 65 BN and is the Highest graded so far (3 or 4 of the 25 minted) unless some have been graded by other companys as i have not looked.

Sorry i cannot put a picture up as my scanner just will not scan slabs hi.gif

Sould they list a coin if they cannot value it ?
Absolutely! thumbsup2.gif

Krause prices are questionable at best, as are the prices in any printed source that is first published months after its date, and replaced at annual or greater intervals. This is an unavoidable result of the fact that the listed prices can't possibly follow the day to day changes in actual transactions, and that those prices are not derived from analysis of all transactions.

Krause identifications, on the other hand, are generally reliable and accurate (although I report at least a dozen errors to them every year). My primary use of Krause is to identify unknown coins, learn the mintages and sometimes variety information, and to get a feel for how rare it might be. The prices tell me something about the value bracket of the coin in various grades, but they can't be relied upon as a guide to precise current value. In the vast majority of cases coins that are unpriced in Krause, like your example, are worth significant amounts, so that status is a flag that expert advice and/or extensive completed auction searching is needed for pricing.

hi.gif Thanks for that Satootoko.. i to have found things missing in Krause like a whole section of 5 rappens from Switzerland and the Spanish philipines 1882 50 cents.. thats why i keep all my old guides.. it makes you wonder what you have let go in the past !!! makepoint.gif

hi.gif