• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Acquistions: Lots of Large Images

36 posts in this topic

These are anywhere from one week to five months old (the raw coins are much older purchases) but I just reimaged them last night. cool.gifyay.gifyay.gifcool.gif~cool.gifyay.gifyay.gifcool.gif

1794LibertyCapLargeCent.jpg1857FlyingEagleCent.jpg1859IHC.jpg1898proofIHC.jpg1831CBHD.jpg1866ShieldNickel.jpg1838SeatedLibertyDime-LargeStars.jpg1942WingedLibertyDime.jpg1875STwentyCentPiece.jpgSLQ.jpg1917TypeISLQFH.jpg1873CCarrowshalf.jpg1842SeatedLibertyDollar.jpg1874STradeDollar.jpg1921HighReliefPeaceDollar.jpg

That's a nice haul!

As for my favorites, let's see:

number three...

Proof merc - proofs are really attractive from this series.

number two...

Seated dollar - nice 'n crusty

and the best of all...

1859 IHC - love the Cu-Ni indians, great pale color to them.

as nice a 59 IHC as I've seen-you are a lucky man! All the coins are nice, but indians and morgans are my favorite coins.

Jes

By the way is that some sort of pattern to the left of Liberty's knee on the Trade Dollar or just a funny light pattern?

Jes

first off, the 1794 Penny is just totally great. A real coin. I love it.

the 1866 rays is fantastic. the color, and the strike obtained on this coin is pretty good making it overall very appealing. What's going on with the edge there????

that Anacs dime is stunning, very interesting color that makes me think it was kept in storage for years in an album. I would cross it to pcgs, don't know how you could view a tiny dime any other way.

the twenty cent piece....well, I had to stop dancing. well...i actually didn't get UP to dance, I kind of did it in my head, but it has that kind of effect on me. I like it.

I don't know what's going on with your 1874 50C with arrows. Is that playdo that I see on the coin? or salt water taffy from Atlantic City???

The 1842 dollar is an exceptional coin. keep it.

The trade dollar is lovely. Can you slip it into a kraft envelope for 5 yr or so. Maybe the cleaning would be beautiful enough to cover up the clean job. Does it have any luster left?

Lastly, your 1921. I like it, but I havnen't found one I like enough to spend money on. Someday. So I really don't know how to interpret them. My error.

Love the collection.

-Mike

Thanks for the complements, boardsters. wink.gif

The AU Trade Dollar and AU SLQ both were high end AU coins but with problems so I played around with some toning experiments. They are in my Dansco 7070. I bought them in my early days of returning to the hobby.

Yes, the 1859 IHC is exceptional and came from an exceptional source. I can easily see it in a 65 slab. I think it and the 1794 cent are my favorite coins of the bunch although I love the strike on the mintstate SLQ!

I love the originality of the 1842 dollar. It is exactly as it looks in hand. I did no photoshop tweaking on any of the images except for the 1838 dime but that is exactly how it looks in hand. And, I will eventually submit it to PCGS. I did lighten the 1873 CC half slightly and I have no idea what is going on on the reverse. Any ideas?

The Twenty cent piece is awesome. I think it is probably a VG10. What do you think? I still like it for a $120 coin, alot! I doubt that I will even upgrade because the eye-appeal is all there. Kind of like my 1853 half dime which I purchased from James Garcia. It is in a PCGS VF holder but I love that coin and its eye-appeal, so what's the point in upgrading to a higher grade? I want eye-appeal over monetary value or grade.

I just got the 1831 HD from Zach on the boards. I think my photos turned out quite sweet and really flatters the coin.

I also lightened the reverse a little bit on the 1857 FE cent to make it more accurate. I'm not enamored with that coin but I still like it.

Anyone notice the cameo going on with the 1898 IHC? The reverse is definitely cameo'd, the obverse maybe only slightly.

The 1866 No Rays Nickel came from Lou (IGWT) on these boards. If anyone knows his shields, it's that guy. So I was fortunate to obtain this coin from him. Mike, those are rim cuds on it. It also exihibits a fair number of die cracks which is typical for these coins. This was the first year (besides for the CuNi IHC's) that the mint struck nickels and encountered lots of problems due to the hardness of the metal.

I do love that 1838 dime!! Big time! I love the colors. In my experience, many of the smaller denominationed Seated Liberty coins have gorgeous album toning like this one displays. Gotta love it. I can't see how anyone could ever think otherwise.

And, yes, I love that proof Merc as well. I just picked this up from Mark Feld, who has been responsible for many of my top type coin purchases. I have nothing but respect for the guy! Thanks, Mark.

The die marriage on the 1873 CC half is extremely rare and if it were a Bust Half marriage then it would be quite valuable. However, most people care very little about marriages for this series (myself included).

Thanks for sharing your time with me. You can click on the coin banner in my sigline if you care to see the rest of my type collection.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Oh, I failed to answer two questions about the trade dollar. It actually has proof fields and not a typical luster pattern. It may be fake for all I know. blush.gif And the pattern by the knee is lighting artifact.

This coin as well as the AU SLQ were blast white.

Well Victor looks like you will not be needing my services anymore. wink.gif

That's high complement. wink.gif Thanks, Bruce, although I could not even come close to rivaling some of the images you took. Like my 1885 proof quarter or 1853 half dime. Simply outstanding work there, Brewster!

That quarter is a beauty of a coin! I have always said to get these WOW images you need WOW coins! You have those WOW coins! I also like the 1860 3 Cent piece image. smile.gif

On a side note that was why I liked the Proof Indian! The Cameo Contrast!!

Yep, I love the 1860 proof trime image. Sorry that I failed to mention it. It is one of my favorites and one your easiest you told me.

Cameos cloud9.gif

I want eye-appeal over monetary value or grade.

"Awesome Group"!!!!! cloud9.gif

Your quote above is what's important and the key to having a beautiful set such as yours!!!!

Congrat''s thumbsup2.gif

I want eye-appeal over monetary value or grade.

"Awesome Group"!!!!! cloud9.gif

Your quote above is what's important and the key to having a beautiful set such as yours!!!!

Congrat''s thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Lee, et al. In some cases, a high end AU coin not only exceeds the eye-appeal of a low end mint state coin but it is only a fraction of the cost. And, the irony is, the low end mint state coin may be but a high end AU slider. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That proof IHC made my heart go piddy pat really fast hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Quite a selection of beautiful coins you have shared. Thank you

Lots of nice examples here... my favorite is the 1794 Large Cent. thumbsup2.gif

Congrats.

I agree with Carolina....my fav is the 1794 as well...followed closely by your 1859 IHC...Lots of nice coins...L

The proof Indian looks lovely. It appears to have a wonderful brassy color with light bluish highlights and a nice cameo contrast. Very beautiful!

And I love the way the Seated dime is toned. Too bad I dislike the design, as many of these Seated coins toned wonderful like this.

as nice a 59 IHC as I've seen-you are a lucky man! All the coins are nice, but indians and morgans are my favorite coins.

Jes

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that it is a beautiful specimen and I'm a lucky man to acquire it. Coins like this are not to be found too often. That's why it's nice to have friends. wink.gif

Sweet group of coins from your type set Victor. cloud9.gif

I’d be happy to have any of those coins in my type set; they’re all pretty nice coins. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

And like Bruce says, your photos have looking very good too…

You are becoming one with the camera. cool.gif

Keep up the good work buddy, 893applaud-thumb.gif except for adding to your type set. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif