• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember when back in 1975...

15 posts in this topic

...that the Red Book's pricing was so unrealistic and overpriced.

Not anymore. The prices of so many series are increasing so quickly that most prices are already outdated and underpriced.

foreheadslap.gif

I think the only prices that the redbook are unable to keep up with now is mostly modern coinage. The market has turned to bulk collecting instead of coin collecting. This in turn is what keeps raising the prices of moderns compared to the earlier coinage that is not available in bulk. IMHO

I think the only prices that the redbook are unable to keep up with now is mostly modern coinage. The market has turned to bulk collecting instead of coin collecting. This in turn is what keeps raising the prices of moderns compared to the earlier coinage that is not available in bulk. IMHO
How do you define "bulk collecting"? If you mean coins that are available in quantity, aren't coins like MS Morgans, late date Walkers, low MS Saints, etc. also available in quantity? Or do you mean when people buy 100+ coins/sets of particular modern Mint issues? But don't some people also have 100s of Morgans?

Exactly. 100 mint proof sets, 100 S.E's, etc....
I'd much rather people collect those things than the stuff I am interested in smile.gif

This might be related my thread "Do you avoid buying coins you like because they are common?" I enjoy some moderns the Mint has put out but they have very high mintages and some of them also have high prices that I can't justify so I just avoid them for now.

Not anymore. The prices of so many pre 1915 series are increasing so quickly that most prices are already outdated and underpriced.

OH YES

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'd like RS Yeoman to include at least one line of MS prices for other designations like FBL, FB, Full Steps etc., you know, something to get you in the ball park.

Agreed on the time frame...by the time the information is gathered then published, the skew is at time enormous.

But we have to remember, it's just a guide. Even guides get you lost.

I'd like RS Yeoman to include...

That would be a good trick since he died in 1988! makepoint.gif

Sorry... I couldn't resist!! 27_laughing.gif

Ken Bressett has been the primary editor of the Red Book since Yeoman's retirement since 1970.

Scott hi.gif

get his name correct please

it is richard yeo

it is NOT YEOMAN

He was born Richard S. Yeo but did change his name to his nom de plume, Yeoman.

Not anymore. The prices of so many series are increasing so quickly that most prices are already outdated and underpriced.

foreheadslap.gif

What does that say about today's Blue Book 893whatthe.gif?

I stopped by a pawn shop the other day and he had 10 low grade morgans/peace $. He looked them up in a 2006 Red Book and said "These are priced a little high" In the end they went out the door for 12 dollars a piece. Good lesson for all those part time sellers.