• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1829-30 Bust Quarters

10 posts in this topic

Why didn't they mint bust quarters in 1829 and 1830.

I think it coincides with the ending of the first Philadelphia mint. When the new mint opened they took the opportunity to reduce the size and weigh of the coin. Also in 1831 the bust quarter had no motto on the reverse.

Why didn't they mint bust quarters in 1829 and 1830.

I think it coincides with the ending of the first Philadelphia mint. When the new mint opened they took the opportunity to reduce the size and weight of the coin. Also in 1831 the bust quarter had no motto on the reverse.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

no 1933 Washington Quarters were made due to the depression really kicking in. Look for anything dated 1933. They figured this would help out the depression somehow? That is the most logical answer, but there could be other reasons.

no 1933 Washington Quarters were made due to the depression really kicking in. Look for anything dated 1933. They figured this would help out the depression somehow? That is the most logical answer, but there could be other reasons.

Wasn't there a fairly large depression in 1829 and 30 as well which resulted in the Hard Time's tokens?

JJ

The Washington quarter, as proposed in early 1931, was originally intended to be a commemorative half-dollar until Congress changed the denomination to the quarter-dollar later in 1931. I would not be surprised to read that the two year circulation of the coin (1932-1933) was planned and that the SLQ would then have returned to service. As it stood, the Washington quarter proved highly popular and the SLQ was retired before its otherwise mandatory twentyfive year life cycle. When Washington quarters were again minted in 1934 they were minted as regular business strikes that were not meant to be commemorative coinage.