• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dollar Help... Is this one genuine?

12 posts in this topic

The coin looks OK, but I wouldn't pay more than XF money for that and also would expect to be disappointed when I got it...

I don't see anything about the date being larger in 1853 than other years, yet it appears to be. also the folds at the knees look different.

on the reverse it may be my imagination but it looks like the eagles beak is to the right of the A in states and should be directly under.

There is no flat gray look like the trade dollar phonies and no lumps around the star fields.

these differences may be normal but i don't find any listings about them.

i would be worried.

Looks like the seller is in love with using Numistrust Corp (NTC). Do you know anything about that TPG? Any guarantees, etc...

It's been proven in here many times that it is tough to grade by photos, so without a more 'trusted' TPG backing the photo up, I would tend to shy away from it.

Just my opinion.

Lots of positive feedback from folks the seller has bought from, but not one written feedback as a seller of items. Hmmmm........

On second look, the denticles look suspect. The pics are not really large enough to tell for sure, but check out this thread on the US Coins forum here, in particular the response and photo from WoodenJefferson.

"Another Fake trade dollar! (another collector going down!)"

I really appreciate your opinions. As some of you know I'm working on an 1853 Circ Set and the dollar coins in lower grades just don't come around all that often. At first glance I thought maybe high VF to XF. Tough to tell from the picture. To me looks like an old cleaning and retoned.

The one thing that is bothering me is the little line of hits going from the foot towards the adjacent star. I'm thinking I saw the same exact hits in the same exact spot on a different 1853 dollar. It was so long ago though that I don't have a picture of the other one though to compare this one to.

The denticles aren't really shown good enough in the picture for me to get a read off of them.

Thanks again and I appreciate your thoughts on this one.

Technically the coin most likely is an AU 55-58 coin but, due to the hairlines, would probably not be graded by a major TPGS. So, as suggested, I would not pay more than XF money for it.

In my rookie days, I had bought an 1861 NTC AU53 SL$. I broke the coin out of the holder and there were 2 or 3 massive rim dings from either being dropped or crimped in a vise.(But, it was evident even in the holder. My eye just wasn't trained at that point.)

Because of this experience, I looked closely at the rims on this example and there are distubances at 5:00 but nothing too drastic.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a circulated 1853 with slight problems and don't plan on getting it slabbed then go for it if the price is right. Otherwise, pass.

1665643-7b1f_1_sbl.jpg

1665643-7b1f_1_sbl.jpg.b0bfc2df719737f0189e3f1b5dd484b8.jpg

The coin has decent eye appeal, but I think that it's been cleaned and/or dipped and then given a layer of AT color. As such PCGS and NGC won't grade it.

It all depends upon what you have to pay for it. Chances are it will be too much given its limited acceptance by TPGs. As for the slab it’s in now, consider it to be a raw coin. confused-smiley-013.gif