• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sending 1872 5c for Designation review what do you think ?

6 posts in this topic

I had this coin graded a while back but forgot to add variety plus it came back as a MS 62 .. it is a Doubled die Obverse (0-2-111) but i have also noticed that there is a broken letter S in CENTS and has a die rotation on the Rev: is this normal for this Doubled die or should i fill this information on the submission form..Sorry about the poor photo.

1657727-a.jpg

1657727-a.jpg.b05bec38bac57b418291cd9f9c105587.jpg

Die rotation is within tolerances, as noted. Broken letters on the reverse are common on shield nickels.

NGC will either note the DDO as a generic DDO, or list it as one of their new variety plus numbers which will undoubtedly be the wrong attribution (all of the grading services look through Cherrypickers' Guide and just pick a shield nickel attribution that looks close).

I would suggest Variety Review is a waste of money.

If you would like to know the real DDO attribution, I can probably tell you if you can post pictures of sufficient resolution showing 1) overall obverse, 2) overall reverse, 3) closeup of the annulet and cross, and 4) closeup of the date.

Howard

ShieldNickels.Net

Thanks for the mail frown.gifsorry my scanners just not up to it frown.gif it just cannot cope with NGC slabs... i have attached one of my other 5c coins for you to have a look at if you like thanks again dooly thumbsup2.gif

1658005-a1.jpg.237883c7aac299430f43880f887cc543.jpg

Your coin is correctly marked as a reverse hub IIa, which means that the additional marking of FS-002.98 cannot be correct. FS-002.98 only occurs on reverse hub IIb.

No broken letters is common on reverse hub IIa. It's only on reverse hub IIc where it's difficult to find.

See this page for photos of shield nickel hubs:

Shield Nickel Hubs