• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fruits of a Box of Dimes ($250)

11 posts in this topic

Following my exploration of two boxes of cents and a box of nickels, I've finally finished searching through a box of dimes. I must say that of the three denominations I've done so far, I found these the most boring. Perhaps it's because they don't go as old, or because there are fewer obvious varieties, but it was a struggle for me to finish them.

Anyway, the breakdown by decade was:

1965-69: 67 (2.7%)

1970-79: 134 (5.3%)

1980-89: 267 (10.7%)

1990-99: 688 (27.5%)

2000-06: 1349 (53.9%)

Interestingly, I found NO 2006 Ps, but I guess that could be because I now live about 20 miles from the Denver mint. Unfortunately, I found none prior to 1965. The only variety I found was a tiny die break between Roosevelt's head (around the 2:00 position) that goes orizontally out to the rim on a 1967. I also found a 1979 that shows very obvious die fatigue along "LIBERTY" and other parts near the rim from the 5:00-12:00 positions.

Otherwise, this box was a wash, though I was able to upgrade 51 of my coins, though half of them due to the toning that is coming from something in my apartment (formaldehyde used to make my shelves, perhaps?).

It's to the bank with these tomorrow and I'll buy a box of quarters to go through next. Hopefully they'll be more interesting.

Ouch!

Even an 1982 No-P would have made the effort worthwhile... (I found 2 in a single roll once... ahhhh, those were the days...)

Still, ya upgraded a wad of coins in your collection, not a total loss...

Good Luck with the Washi-Bits!

Rest your eyes for a few days and let us know how it goes.

That's too bad! I must admit though, I've never found silver in a roll of dimes, the only silver dimes I've gotten were in normal commerce, including a 1942 mercury a few years ago from a drive through. Quarters are the same, only once did I find a silver one in a roll, and it was just one roll I bought to do laundry! Halves are a whole different story though!

It's interesting that a mere 8% were from the era that dimes lacked mint marks. Only about 4 1/2 to 5% of the total are actually without a Denver or San Francisco minmark.

This means only a couple coins per roll will lack a mintmark.

nicks, dimes, and quats are always boring... from my experience at least. dollars too...

I kind of like looking through SBA's. Looking for close date 1979-Ps keeps me on my toes.

The AU/BU early clad dimes can be kind of fun, too, at least for a while. The hair detail varied so greatly that it's interesting looking for wear. The way the light shines on the concave fields attracts me like a crow.

cool.gif

man I get tired just looking at $20 worth of pennies and nickels. $250 worth of dimes would have my neck hunched over for a week and seeing nothing but silver spots in front of my eyes.

After going through a bunch of cents, I have to return $200 worth of pennies this week. I am already dreading the evil look the teller is going to give me. I am going to a different branch to return them so that I dont upset my regular bank teller.

After going through a bunch of cents, I have to return $200 worth of pennies this week. I am already dreading the evil look the teller is going to give me. I am going to a different branch to return them so that I dont upset my regular bank teller.

sign-funnypost.gif

I actually asked at my bank when I bought the first two boxes of cents, and they said they don't care, they just pour it into the machine. confused-smiley-013.gif