• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Description - Question

5 posts in this topic

I'm still very new to "Heritage Sales" so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I clicked on THIS LOT actually by mistake thinking it was a '21. I blew up the picture and looked at the coin and saw what looks like (to me anyway) die cracks running all over the obverse and some on the reverse. However when I read the "description" it doesn't seem to mention any die cracks. Is it normal to exclude something like this from an auction description or am I seeing something that isn't actually on the coin?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

I see no real reason to mention (or not to mention, for that matter) die cracks. There is nothing unusual about them.

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that die cracks are not unusual and don't affect the grade (I think); I just figured that if a coin had them it would be mentioned in its description.

How does this work in sight-unseen dealer to dealer sales?

Say a dealer was trying to get a certain coin at a certain grade for someone; beyond the assigned grade don't things like die cracks, and toning come into the conversation?

This is truly a learning experience for me, and I'm not trying to stir any pot. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

I see no real reason to mention (or not to mention, for that matter) die cracks. There is nothing unusual about them.

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that die cracks are not unusual and don't affect the grade (I think); I just figured that if a coin had them it would be mentioned in its description.

How does this work in sight-unseen dealer to dealer sales?

Say a dealer was trying to get a certain coin at a certain grade for someone; beyond the assigned grade don't things like die cracks, and toning come into the conversation?

This is truly a learning experience for me, and I'm not trying to stir any pot. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Richard, while my clients typically make their toning preferences known to me, I don't recall any of them having mentioned die cracks as something to worry about or go out of my way to obtain on their behalf. Understandably, it might be different if I sold Morgan dollars by VAM variety, for example.

By the way, as far as I know, pot stirring is allowed. devil.gif