• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having Trouble Buying Pres. $ Coins? You're Not Alone ... (my story)

5 posts in this topic

First and foremost, this is a sign-rantpost.gif, so don't read if you don't want to read a rant.

That disclaimer out of the way, I've been arguing with my bank for weeks as to whether they will buy the new coins, and they always refuse to. "We get them in as you guys bring 'em to us," has been the classic response. So I put in an order with my local coin club and will hear back March 1. But the big release day hit yesterday and I got all excited and so wanted to get some to look through and NOT WAIT.

So this morning, afternoon, and evening (not continuously, but when I could), I called AT LEAST 20 banks around me. I first tried all the branches of my bank, and all 7 of them gave me the same response (though it was interesting to hear the different phone greeting at each one). I then tried other banks.

It boiled down to four different bank companies had them. One, at all 5 of their nearby branches, had already sold out, with the one I actually drove to selling out between the time I called and 5 minutes later that I went in. Of the other three, one wouldn't give them to people who didn't have an account, which I can honestly understand but it still pi$$ed me off (pun perhaps intended?).

So of the remaining two, I chose the closer one, and though I literally waited 10 minutes in a line of two people, I finally gave the teller my $100 and waited another 4 minutes for her to bring out the four rolls. I was ecstatic, and the guy depositing his pay check asked to get three of them, too, and I educated him that this was the first coin in 75+ years to have edge lettering, and he was really interested (he was interested before I told him).

As I was walking out, I spent about 45 seconds with them in my hand before I dropped a roll and it splattered across the grocery store floor. I almost cried, but I dealt with it.

So that's my story, I have 100 of these things, 23 of them will be obviously spent, the other 77 (2 from that one roll stayed in) will be sorted through, 54 kept (2 rolls, 1 set, 1 type set, 2 for a friend and his dad), and the others spent or exchanged for more to sort through.

I thought I might post this on another thread about these, but I figured my story was off-topic enough that people shouldn't have to read it if they didn't want. 893blahblah.gif

Atleast you found some. Every bank I tried did not have any of the new coins. I tried 3 banks in my area with no luck. I asked my sister, mother, and mother-in-law all of which live in different areas to ask there local bank about the coins. I came up with nothing. So I have given up.

Atleast you found some. Every bank I tried did not have any of the new coins. I tried 3 banks in my area with no luck. I asked my sister, mother, and mother-in-law all of which live in different areas to ask there local bank about the coins. I came up with nothing. So I have given up.

There is always Fleabay insane.gif

I called 5 local banks this morning, none had them, the most success I had was one bank that said they'd have them next Wednesday, but at this point I figure I'll just forget about it and go to Chuck E Cheese and buy some tokens to spend, they are pretty much the same design anyway!