• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CNNMoney Article Gets its Facts Wrong

8 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif CNN has to be one of the worst-edited main-stream online news sources with consistent grammar and even spelling mistakes (like an article saying "President Bus" was going to send more troops to Iraq).

The latest is a new article (http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/12/news/presidential_dollar/index.htm?cnn=yes) on the Presidential Dollars that, as of the time of this posting, reads: "After Washington, the series will continue in 2007 with John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, each with a different Statue of Liberty image on the reverse." (emphasis mine)

No, you are incorrect. CNN is about average. They all get facts wrong. Remember this when you are reading an article about something you know nothing about. They get the facts wrong when you know the subject so assume a percentage of the facts are wrong on the rest of it too. Never make a large wager on a "fact" you get from the news media. --Jerry

I agree with Jerry. IMO Fox News seems to be the most acurate most of the time,but not always.The best you can do is listen to a few of the best sources, news stations,internet sites and blogs.Then TRY to form an oppinion on what you think is the real story or a politically motivated out of context version.And even then, we'll probably never know the full true story. I sometimes sadly feel we may be better off not knowing the full truth..lol.. news.gif CC

No, you are incorrect. CNN is about average. They all get facts wrong. Remember this when you are reading an article about something you know nothing about. They get the facts wrong when you know the subject so assume a percentage of the facts are wrong on the rest of it too. Never make a large wager on a "fact" you get from the news media. --Jerry

My grandfather told me "when it comes to the news, believe half of what you see and none of what you read". A little cynical, but it has served me well in that I check the facts myself if I am interested in a topic.

yeahok.gif

Okay, well it seems as though people misinterpreted my point: A really blatantly obvious fact that takes simple reading of a press release was wrong in the article. Since it was coin-related, I thought I'd post it and people would get a few chuckles. I guess that intent was lost ...

Okay, well it seems as though people misinterpreted my point: A really blatantly obvious fact that takes simple reading of a press release was wrong in the article. Since it was coin-related, I thought I'd post it and people would get a few chuckles. I guess that intent was lost ...

sign-funnypost.gif Does this help?? 27_laughing.gif