• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know anything about this medal?

7 posts in this topic

In France, it is called a plaquette rather than a medal. I don't speak Spanish, but it looks like it was made to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the construction of something. A bridge? A dam? I don't know. It was probably struck in bronze. It has a nice design.

Chris

The first part of that translates to " of the Parish of Our Lady of the Rosary of the Ford of the Paraná" where Paraná is a river and "Ford of the Paraná" is a town. Regarding the town and the 1730 date, the Wikipedia page on Parana, Argentina says:

On October 23, 1730 the local chapel was granted by the clerical authorities in Buenos Aires the status of parish church; that date was adopted as the beginning of the official history of the town.

Thanks to all for the help.

Last night I found some stuff on the internet, but its all in spanish so I'm slowly figuring it out. Looks like it was an interesting time in Argentina back then.

Thanks again.

I think it's interesting to read about Spanish settlements that were happening in the New World before 1776. It's good to associate the 1730 date with settlements in what is now Argentina. I have a couple of 1969 California bicentennial medals commemorating settlement of California in 1769.