• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results of a Box of Nickels (2000 coins)

12 posts in this topic

I spent a few hours last night sorting through a box ($100, 2000 coins) of nickels from the bank. A break-down of the years:

1930s: 1

1940s: 4

1950s: 12

1960s: 70

1970s: 183

1980s: 318

1990s: 667

2000s: 740

Yeah, that equals 2004, but that's only a 0.4% error in counting on my part. wink.gif

A further break-down is that there were 14 coins (1960-1963), 47 coins (1964), and 9 coins (1965-1969). Additionally, from the 2000s, there were 327 (2000-2003), 49 (2004 peace medal), 43 (2004 keelboat), 60 (2005 bison), 98 (2005 ocean in view), and 163 (2006).

I was able to upgrade 32 coins in my Jefferson series as well as fill a hole - the low-mintage (7.8 million) 1951 S.

Now onto the box of dimes ($250, 2500 coins) I bought!

HEHE goodtimes. I just went through $10 worth of CENTS. (got one ugly wheat penny, the highlight of my findings was a dime, lol) I'm ahead of the game by nine cents, sweet. I got $10 more to go through. Im still amazed that this is fun to me. I wish bank tellers made more money, I'd love to have their job.

sig.jpg

I LOVE these posts when people go through bulk coins. That's what this hobby is fundamentally about, in my opinion.

Take it from the husband of a teller - you would not want their job. Nothing but spoon all day long.

Astrostu, you probably didn't miscount - I made something like $15 in extra halves when I went through $400 worth of rolls. The rollers cannot count.

Man, my eyesight is already bad enough. I don't think I could hack it doing 2,000 at a stretch... 100-200 at a time sounds about right to me. In any case, good going! thumbsup2.gif Glad you found some coins to upgrade your set.

I have to agree with SkyMan. When I do this it is usualy $10 to $20 at a time. I have almost completed a 1938 to present run of Jeffersons from rolls. The War year silver not included.

It is hard to imagine 2000 loose nickels and the weight behind them. I once won a $100 jackpot from a antique nickel machine in Virginia City, Nevada oh, back in 80's, took about 6 of them buckets to get them to the cashier. (The slot machine was about 7' tall and had cast iron designs and was 5 reels) I lined up all 5 red stars on a single nickel...ding...ding...ding! It was fun and no, I did not search the winners. Into the counting machine...gimmie cash!

Have fun and keep on searching. I got a 2000-P Kennedy half in change the other day...about fell over.

Thanks for the interest. I completely agree with Michael that this is the essence of coin collecting.

It is hard to imagine 2000 loose nickels and the weight behind them.

Actually, this is an easy calculation. 5 gms per coin times 2000 is 10 kg, which is about 22 lbs. Quite heavy!

I recently went through a box of $500 in quarters from my local bank, would you be interested in what was found?

Sure. Actually, that's next on my list. wink.gif

I recently went through a box of $500 in quarters from my local bank, would you be interested in what was found?

You certainly have my attention. popcorn.gif

I'm sure I've seen some of your results but I'm interested anyway. wink.gif

I'm always looking at these myself and try to keep a sort of running total.

You mean there was something in the box besides 2000 quarters? Please tell us what you found.

I once got a car wash token, and when I drove to the location to use it, they had gone out of business.

Chris