• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 interesting year for coins

15 posts in this topic

We are putting together a circ set for 1853. Interesting year in numismatics. If I count right there were 30 different US coins minted. So we have 7 down and 23 to go.......... well, we'll never get one of the 23 as there are only 3 known; so call it 22 to go !!! 893whatthe.gif

NDTZI-WQIWG-NEWPS015.jpgTMKQS-OEBRQ-NEWPS016.jpg

VHTLT-1853TO.jpgYIHUX-1853TR.jpg

NGBJV-1853HDO.jpgLWTCV-1853HDR.jpg

IMFAK-NEWPS001DO.jpgDONIT-NEWPS002DR.jpg

WGVHU-newps007.jpgIJBYE-newps008.jpg

LUNGA-seatedfun028.jpgYKBSS-seatedfun029.jpg

GoldOneDollar1853Obv.jpgGoldOneDollar1853Rev.jpg

I like the idea! grin.gif

Good luck with it! smile.gif

Arrows and Rays are my favorite sub type of Seated Liberties. The eagle looks so cool with the rays!

-Amanda

That is a very interesting goal to produce an 1853 year set, why was this year chosen? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The year was chosen a little by accident. We had picked up the quarter and half a while back because we liked the A/R look. The thought was that since they would be sort of always in demand for the type collectors we could start low and then upgrade the coins along the way.

We also have modern silver proof sets and like to look at those coins. The discussion ran to what other 1853 coins were produced and well, that's how we got to this point. crazy.gif

I added the Dollar Gold above. When I posted the picture of it ATS some thought it might be a fake? I bought it at a local shop which is well known and would be surprised if it was a fake. They even looked at it under the loupe because we were discussing if the lump of dirt or whatever on the reverse could or should be removed. I'm no expert on one dollar gold but I did stay up last night and compared the coin to a good picture of the same year/mm of one that was part of the Bass collection. I could not find anything that would lead me to question the authenticity. I'll try to take better pictures later.

Richard,

I too picked up an arrow and rays quarter because I thought it was cool looking. In my case it was many years ago when I first started collecting and I was just buying random things I liked. It inspired me to look for more arrows and rays from time to time and also pick up some of the other versions. So I've been on a very informal similar mission for a long time too. Good idea to formalize it and have some fun.

As for the 50c pc with only 3 known, call that a mint error and your set will be complete.

--Jerry

PM sent.

Does that mean you have coins to sell him that wouldn't be appropriate to post here (spammy) or something juicy you don't want to share with the rest of us?

smile.gif I was trying not to spam. Oh well, the heck with it, here are a my contributions to this thread, a pair of 1853-O with-arrows coins:

g1853o44.jpg

h1853o44.jpg

I had replied to your thread ATS asking if you knew the coin was genuine or not because of the grade range you bought it as and the fact that US gold has been heavily counterfeited. If I remember correctly, you wrote something about the coin being VF and if the coin were bought as a VF then I would be extremely suspicious since it is clearly much nicer. I do not see any diagnostics of known counterfeits on the coin, but I just had the concern.

I had replied to your thread ATS asking if you knew the coin was genuine or not because of the grade range you bought it as and the fact that US gold has been heavily counterfeited. If I remember correctly, you wrote something about the coin being VF and if the coin were bought as a VF then I would be extremely suspicious since it is clearly much nicer. I do not see any diagnostics of known counterfeits on the coin, but I just had the concern.

Tom,

You are correct I did say VF. To better state it I should have said that I Paid about what I think is retail for a VF. I paid $165. I don't know if that is VF price to a dealer or not. Doesn't really matter.

I didn't actually have any conversation with the dealer where I bought it from about what they felt the coin was graded; so its not like they said this is a VF.

I don't know if this clears it up or not. The guys at that shop have always been very helpful to me.

Thanks,

Richard

The dollar has the appearance of a counterfeit gold piece to me. The surfaces appear finely pebbly/satiny and the devices are soft.

It's not an uncommon mistake to misidentify counterfeit gold. I recently sold a 1926 counterfeit $10 that was a very pretty coin. It even had the edge devices (stars) done perfectly.

I think you should send the coin in for authentication.

BTW, neat set!

Hoot