• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need To Set The Record Straight - Ebay Seller

8 posts in this topic

Most of you might remember my temporary loss of restraint and subsequent purchasing of 3 toned commems from an Ebay Seller "ToplineCoins" about a week ago.

I posted a thread with my "newps" which generated quite a few replies.

While the replies in the thread were split on whether these Commems were AT or NT; the "more experienced than I" felt that based on the pictures that the coins were indeed AT.

The seller shipped the coins super-fast which is always nice. The packing was acceptable but not as good as it could have been.

With the coins in-hand I could not see upon inspection any hairlines, rubs, dings or anything. Even with the toning the coins exhibited good to excellent luster. The coins had a very nice eye-appeal to them. I do believe that the seller had enhanced the color of his auction pictures and I did bring that to his attention.

The toning I was just not sure about. Too consistent across the 3 coins and it didn't have a real "old" appearance to it. It was one of my few real instances where I can see what graders mean about the toning appearing to float on top of the coin as opposed to being a part of the coin.

The seller offers in his auctions a 5 day unconditional return policy. I informed the seller that I would indeed like to return the coins for a refund of my purchase price less the shipping and insurance that I didn't feel that he should have to absorb. The seller promptly replied that he would gladly accept the coins back and that he would upon receipt of them issue me a refund. He asked no other questions nor debated the issue at all.

I sent the coins back the next day and the seller did refund my money. In fact, he didn't just refund the purchase price; he refunded the purchase price PLUS the shipping and insurance.

I bring this all up because in the thread (and PM's) about the Commems; several shots were taken at the seller. I don't mean from those who questioned the toning or the coins. I mean those more directed at the Seller. For me, I would much rather deal with a seller such as this than some of the others that I've run across over the years.

The seller does seem to have a lot of decent to nice raw coins and the buyers seem happy with the coins based on his FB. I think it is entirely possible that the seller did buy a Commem set that had been messed with and did not realize it. Although less a possibility; I would not be surprised to see the Commems that I returned show up in a top tier TPG slab and be sold for big bucks.

I just wanted to set the record straight.

Thanks,

Richard

The seller does seem to have a lot of decent to nice raw coins and the buyers seem happy with the coins based on his FB. I think it is entirely possible that the seller did buy a Commem set that had been messed with and did not realize it.

I remember the thread well, and that was my position on the issue as well.

<<I would not be surprised to see the Commems that I returned show up in a top tier TPG slab and be sold for big bucks.>>

In my opinion, you will never, ever see those 3 commemoratives you purchased in a holder other than one from a third world grading service.

I'm happy for you to have all this turn out the way it has for you, but it is still no excuse for a reputable coin dealer to offer these types of coins under the guise of being 100% authentic.

You made the right decision...sleep well knowing you were steered correctly. There is nothing to be ashamed of and I for one appreciate the honest feedback.

(Plus, this guy's, well his address is in Texas, ain't sayin he's/she's a Texan...shame shame, a P.O. Box to boot...affraid of a physical address?)

There were some other decent coins in the bulk of his auctions...but there was some manipulated Morgans in amongst those auctions, so it was just not a group of Commem's that were fiddled with.

Carry on....I'm usually not quite so out spoken, enjoy collecting coins once again.

shame shame, a P.O. Box to boot...affraid of a physical address?)

Woody, I see nothing wrong with someone using a P. O. Box. I'm sure there are many dealers who run their business out of their homes because the overhead of rents and utilities on commercial properties would make them borderline bankrupt. Why should those dealers advertise a physical address for their home and make it easier for a scumbag, crackhead to rob them?

Chris

Woody, I see nothing wrong with someone using a P. O. Box. I'm sure there are many dealers who run their business out of their homes because the overhead of rents and utilities on commercial properties would make them borderline bankrupt. Why should those dealers advertise a physical address for their home and make it easier for a scumbag, crackhead to rob them?

Chris

This coin seller (I do not know that they in fact are dealers) may have started out legit, but as of late they have turned the other numismatic cheek and are now selling altered coins mixed in with the good ones...no ifs, ans or butts about it... Look at this Morgan I just feel that now they have something to hide. Are there any other companies other than UPS out there that will sign for a package sent to a drop box?

It's always a risky business when dealing with the masses...I just find that for the most part, bad sellers on e-bay always have a P.O. Box. Another one of those "red flags" I look at, also that this was from a Texas addy...grrrrrr po'd

These are just our opinins anyways...right? hi.gif

edit: This seller just put up some new listings this evening...my-o-my-o-my! Dang it all any how. mad.gif

(Plus, this guy's, well his address is in Texas, ain't sayin he's/she's a Texan...shame shame, a P.O. Box to boot...affraid of a physical address?)

I absolutely agree with the other comments. I ALWAYS use my PO Box, and under no circumstances do I ever give out a physical address. The last thing I want is people who know I have coins in the house coming over "uninvited".

Safety is paramount!!

Chris

This coin seller (I do not know that they in fact are dealers) may have started out legit, but as of late they have turned the other numismatic cheek and are now selling altered coins mixed in with the good ones...no ifs, ans or butts about it... Look at this Morgan I just feel that now they have something to hide. Are there any other companies other than UPS out there that will sign for a package sent to a drop box?

It's always a risky business when dealing with the masses...I just find that for the most part, bad sellers on e-bay always have a P.O. Box. Another one of those "red flags" I look at, also that this was from a Texas addy...grrrrrr po'd

These are just our opinins anyways...right? hi.gif

edit: This seller just put up some new listings this evening...my-o-my-o-my! Dang it all any how. mad.gif

Okay, you had a bad experience and you're PO'ed at the P.O. Box, but you shouldn't stereotype all sellers as such just because they use a P.O. Box.

Chris