• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Coin for my Type Set

13 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start off with a 20th century non-gold type set in High-AU to Low-MS grades and go from there. Also thought I'd start small and go large, excepting the pieces that I already have in my collection (like the new nickels, quarters, and dollars).

Anyway, so here's the first addition of a coin that I actually bought, a 1909 V.D.B. 1¢ that I think is nicely toned. I tried to get the picture to reflect what the coin looks like in-hand. The dealer had the grade estimated at around MS-64, so I just posted it as that since, in my experience, Lincolns from the first half of the 20th century have weak strikes.

Happy comments are welcome. wink.gif

typeset_001_1909vdb.jpg

Ninety-eight years old and still beautiful! cloud9.gif

Great coin. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

How are you going to put together the typeset? Are you going to use an album, like the Dansco 7070?

Scott hi.gif

Thanks guys. I was afraid someone would say that there was a big problem I didn't notice and it would be something like: makepoint.gif

Ninety-eight years old and still beautiful! cloud9.gif

Great coin. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

How are you going to put together the typeset? Are you going to use an album, like the Dansco 7070?

Scott hi.gif

Scott, I actually decided to not go with the advice in that thread I posted awhile ago, as per my last message on it that no one replied to. Because I want this as customizable as possible and because I'm not a real fan of Dansco, I'm going with AirTite holders (direct fit for the modern stuff), and for storage I'll go with their boxes. Granted, it's more expensive, but I like the black against the coins as opposed to the tan faux-leather, and I don't have to worry about scratching the coins with the sleeves, etc.

For physical display, I'm going to look into the dealer-type black velvet (?) trays with the pre-molded 2"x2" dividers. For online display, I actually want to make a website that has pictures of the coins (like the one above) along with information about the type.

I love coins, but I also love what they show about the history of the US, like having a 1¢ from 1944-46 (I think, I don't have my reference in front of me), they resumed the copper composition but used old bullet casings, or how rising metal prices caused the change in 1982 to the current copper-plated zinc composition. I'd love to put together an extensive website with that info and the pictures as a nice visual guide. As my AP American History teacher said about 8 years ago, I could teach key points in US history from my random knowledge of coins, and since I love attention, making it into a website (and a traveling display once I get more coins in there) is a great way to do it. thumbsup2.gif

Sweet coin and a very nice start. If you ever get a chance check out Victor's Type set(EZ_E). I got the chance to look at and photo it. It is very very nice.

Sweet coin and a very nice start. If you ever get a chance check out Victor's Type set(EZ_E). I got the chance to look at and photo it. It is very very nice.

Thanks, Bruce, for both the kudos and for the photos. thumbsup2.gif

Once my 1794 cent gets back from Hoot then that's going in there, too. cool.gif

p.s. click on the coin picture banner below to see my type set.