• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fruits of Searching Through $50 of Lincoln Cents

7 posts in this topic

On Friday evening, I embarked upon a mind-numbing journey when I purchased 5,000 1¢ coins from my local bank. At an average of 8.5 coins per minute, it took me about 10-11 hours to finish (I know that seems slow, but that includes unwrapping time, sorting time, etc.). insane.gif

For you OCD folks, here are some stats of current circulating coins (at least from these):

1947 (38.0%) from 2000-2006

1571 (30.7%) from 1990-1999

941 (18.4%) from 1980-1989, with 596 post-1983, 154 from 1982, and 191 from 1980-81

483 (9.4%) from 1970-1979, with 13 S mintmarks

144 (2.8%) from 1960-1969, with 10 S mintmarks

16 (0.3%) from 1950-1959, with 6 wheats and 10 from 1959

4 (0.1%) from 1940-1949

1 1909 VDB in AU-50 grin.gif

6 (0.1%) Canadian cents

I realize that adds up to 5113, but that's about a 2.2% error in counting, which ain't bad after 11 hrs.

Error-wise, one of the 1982s was off-center to the point where there's practically no rim near "IN GOD;" though it's not technically an error coin, I'm keeping it. I also found 34 coins that exhibit some degree of doubling ... I'm still trying to learn how to tell the difference between machine doubling and a doubled-die, though. 7 from 1989 and the rest from the '90s, though a fair number are 1992 D.

I have yet to weigh the 1982s, so I'm keeping them until I can. I also plan on keeping the stuff prior to 1970 (and obviously the 1909) plus all coins from San Fancisco. I was also able to fill a hole in my collection and upgrade 29 in my collection.

Astro - Thats cool on your find of a 1909 VDB . whats the odds with finding one in that condition. Most pre-depression pennies I ever find are worn down to a numb. Dont see many on here looking thru pounds of pennies. Billy use to post alot on what he has found and give his comments. I just got done with 2 boxes from the bank myself since Nov and ordered 3 more this weeks. It takes me longer that the few hrs. Im looking for Cherrypicker stuff - Wide & Close AM family of cents and other things. If your interested in percentages - Ive made 3 simple spreadsheets that i find are interesting thru my finds - like 82 CU SM date is 3%(or small %) of the total 82 made. Also made one of % pennies made at West Point.

One of my recent finds was a 1989 with a CUD that sold for 36 on ebay this past week. Still waiting to be paid but an interesting piece. Picture is included. Found a 2001 with 45 rotation-not sure of what its worth. My best find was a 94 FS-039.9 I sent it in and NGC gave it a MS66. So I'll probably sell it someday. Jeff

1596056-DSC00264a.JPG.58ac192ab362b9acc5e3fde55f37cd2d.JPG

Cool. Thanks for the results.

There are too many surprises ('09-VDB of course) except the high number of S mints and wheats. The wheats do seem to be increasing again a little so maybe .2% is going to become the norm.

A lot of old coins and bicentennial issues have been showing up in circulation since 1999. Perhaps it's because the masses are becoming more sophisticated about coins. They aren't necessarily releasing more of these, just not saving them anymore.

I have yet to weigh the 1982s, so I'm keeping them until I can.

There's really no reason to weigh circulated 1982 wheats to determine composition. It's much easier and quicker to just take a pre-82 cent and a post-82 cent and drop them a short distance onto a desk a few times until you can distinguish the difference in the ringing sound they make. Then, simply drop the 1982 cents onto the desk one at a time and sort them accordingly. Nothing could be simpler. I wouldn't do this with high-grade coins, but for circulated cents, it's no biggie.

Try it and tell me how it works for you.

The only way I can think this 1909 VDB got in there (and it was in the next-to-last roll) would be a situation like some mom was cleaning out her kid's closet and found it and figured she'd do the kid a favor and take it, along with some other cents, to the bank for bills.

I was trying to cherry-pick for Close/Open "AM"s, but I didn't find any ... partly probably because I phased out at times and forgot to check.

Of course, now I never want to see a Lincoln cent again, but that's a different issue. wink.gif