• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dime Homework Last Night

3 posts in this topic

Having recently received a pretty comprehensive book by Greer on Seated Dimes; I took the time last night to start to read through it. I then pulled out a raw dime I have to see if I could figure out more about it.

After a little homework and viewing with a loupe, here is what I came up with:

Year: 1877

Mint: Carson City “CC”

Obverse: Type II

Reverse: Type I

Rarity: R2+

Grade: F-12 (my guess)

The “tells” for a Type I Reverse are a “split ribbon” on the left (rev) and the “E” is very close to the wreath (rev).

The book says that the Type I Reverses are more scarce than the Type II. I wonder if that still is true? I looked on eBay and for the same year the majority of the ones listed where you can actually determine the Rev Type were Type I.

Anyway, I look forward to many more hours learning about this interesting series. Here’s some so-so pictures of the dime I looked at.

I’d be interested in knowing if I made any error or omission in my study of this dime. It is a learning process for me.

Thanks,

Richard

aaa005b.jpg

aaa006b.jpg