• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which '21 Peace Do You Like Best And Why? Choices, Choices, Choices...

17 posts in this topic

I've been on the look-out for a decent '21 and these have caught my eye. I'd like to get some opinions from folks who know a lot more than me.

All Pics are Sellers Pics. 2 Different Sellers. Price of coin is not to be considered, just the coin. Which of these do you like best and why?

This first coin is slabbed by PCGS

21obvp.jpg21revp.jpg

This second coin is slabbed by NGC

21obv.jpg21rev.jpg

Thanks for your opinions.

I like the first one better. It could just be the picture, but it seem to have more detail, a better strike and the coloring is gorgeous. Looks to me about an MS 64. smile.gif

To me, the NGC specimen looks more appealing. There is something about the toning on the PCGS specimen that I just don't like, even though it may have a little more luster.

Chris

I would consider both of these coins to be slightly below my own personal standards, but price may be a driving factor. That said, I believe the second coins holds an edge over the first. I like the strike on the first coin better, but it's not a huge difference between the two. However, I think the first coin has a little more chatter overall, and the color seems "off" to me, but that could be an artifact of the imaging.

I would proceed with caution on either of these, requiring a reasonable return policy. The good news is that I suspect either coin might be a tad better than its respective image.

The first one is worrisome re the toning.

If I HAD to make a choice, I'd choose the second one. Looks like a thick skin which is good.

I don't think I necessarily know any more than you do, and I've been looking at 1921 Peace dollars without buying any for a long time, and I'm not sure I'd go for either. Definitely not the first. If the second has a return policy, it could be a very nice coin.

Richard if I was you I would take a shot at number 1. I sorta like the coin. Coin 2 has a weak strike. But really if you want my opinion hold out for a coin like this...

1921.jpg

I like the smoothness of the second coin if it is not graded so high as to command a huge premium.

I don’t like the first one for all the chatter.

While apparently not as clean as the second coin, based upon the images provided, the first one is better struck AND looks more original to me. Therefore, it's my preference.

Thanks for all the opinions.

For what its worth, the first coin is in a PCGS MS65 Slab. The second coin is in an NGC MS64 slab.

Personally I like the NGC coin better at least based on the pictures. The strike does look weaker and maybe some muted luster; however the PCGS coin seems to have a little chatter (maybe just the picture).

BTW the PCGS coin is priced at double the NGC coin.

Bruce- I love your coin. thumbsup2.gif

I would consider both of these coins to be slightly below my own personal standards, but price may be a driving factor. That said, I believe the second coins holds an edge over the first. I like the strike on the first coin better, but it's not a huge difference between the two. However, I think the first coin has a little more chatter overall, and the color seems "off" to me, but that could be an artifact of the imaging.

I would proceed with caution on either of these, requiring a reasonable return policy. The good news is that I suspect either coin might be a tad better than its respective image.

Very well said, and I agree 100%....Mike

I like the top one better. Strike is important to me. I want to see as much detail as possible. There is a bad scuff on the reverse holder so that distracts and should be polished out. The photographs are different. The lower one could be exposed in such a way as to hide some marks. It certainly hides the luster or it really has less luster.

Richard if I was you I would take a shot at number 1. I sorta like the coin. Coin 2 has a weak strike. But really if you want my opinion hold out for a coin like this...

1921.jpg

I don't know if another coin exists like that (arrogantly stated, nose up in the air)

IN FACT, I CAN"T BELIEVE THAT COIN EXISTS!!!!

I insist that you place it in my keeping for a period of 10 (ten) years so I can be sure that it doesn't just evaporate.

The second To me Is far and away a superior coin..I prefer Eye appealing coins and the pcgs coin is just so Blah..Too many hits and too much Mottled ugly toning...

Mike I think you and about 20 others have PM'ed me or ask me about this coin. Should I ever decide to let this go there is a long line of people.

Bruce, please stop teasing me with that coin, and remember I'm at the top of the list.... makepoint.gif

I like the second coin. There is some annoying chatter in the fields on the obverse of the PCGS coin, and the strike isn't that much better than the NGC coin.